Choosing a Baby Name

My daughter-in-law and son can't seem to agree on anything. What is a good way to choose a baby name?

By HELPme911

I suspect they're going to just have to work it out and find a way to overcome this impasse. I had a "boy" name I loved, but couldn't come up with any girl names. I bought books and looked up meanings, and thought of things that I enjoy or mean a lot to me. I enjoy mythology, but didn't find any names I'd want for my child. I considered giving our daughter a Japanese name, but my husband didn't love any I came up with. He offered up some names. I hated some of them, but one stuck. We just had to work together.

Of course being from the south we use family names. My sons daddy is James and mine is Tammie. Even before we knew if hed be a boy or girl we decided the baby would be called TJ, so when we found out he was a boy James was a given and we picked a list of boy names starting with a T and decided on Trevor. If he had been a girl it would have been Tessa Jo, Jo after my mom. And my mom gave all us kids the same initals as our dad, and my grandmaw did the same with my dad and his brothers and sisters.

Sounds familiar. When I was expecting my husband and I set up some ground rules that we both did agree on. Our rules were: no names of anyone we knew, no names from the bible (had a lot of those already in the family), only traditional spellings but non-traditional names OK. We each picked out 10 names for each gender and then traded lists. From those we had veto power on 5 from the other person's list. This left us with 10 boys and 10 girls names. We sat on those a while and then could narrow it down to 2 or 3 of each sex. In the end we agreed on a first and middle from our short list. Biggest rule: take suggestions from no one and tell no one of our choices. May not work for everyone but it did for us. Didn't help when we had to pick a color to paint the house though! :-}

Before we had our daughter, my husband and I decided that if it was a boy, he would pick the name and if it was a girl, I would. I stuck with that, I wanted her to be named Perri Charlene. My husband hated that name. So, when I was about 6 to 7 months pregnant, he said that we could name another Perri in one way or another, then we went through the baby books, searched online, asked friends and family their opinions. At last, we decided on Rowyn. Being from an Irish background, it is a beautiful name, has a great meaning, and I picked how it was spelled. (My own name being spelled differently and all). I know its hard, but as a parent, especially when someones mind is made up. Good luck, grandma! And congratulations!

This is enjoyable part to be a new parent. I think it nice if both parent decided what they want name for the baby. For me its best to get from a bible or think names that related to the parents.

Choosing Baby Names
Choosing a Baby Name
Parenting Baby AdviceJuly 1, 2011
Living room with nice interior design.
Name Ideas for Interior Design Businesses
Young Boy at Daycare
Name Ideas for a Childcare Business
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower