Jeans Bled Onto Suede Jacket

I wore dark blue (indigo) jeans with a tan suede jacket. The jeans bled onto the hem of the jacket. How can I clean it?

Duchin from Worcester

Answers

In the US we have a company called "RIT" that makes & sells dyes & although I've NEVER recommend their dyes, The RIT company also makes a bottle of liquid "Dye Remover" that will take most dyes off of fabrics & since jeans contain "Indigo" which is a "Fugitive" based dye, I'm sure this dye remover would work on FABRIC. But with suede, you are in a WHOLE 'nother ballpark. If it were me, I'd put a bit of the dye remover into a small cup then dip a clean cloth, sponge or a toothbrush into it on to the area where the indigo is, then rinse it off & re-brush your suede pile back up with a small stiff brush or a brass brush.

---> WARNING: This "Dye Remover" is made to remove dyes, & it could easily also remove the color your coat was dyed in the first place. First test it in a small inconspicuous place first!

* Call these guys, they sell dyes on the internet & they REALLY know their business when it comes to dyes (& removing them): http://www.dharmatrading.com 800-542-5227

Your safest & best fix would be to cut off the indigo area where the dye ran, then re-hem this area. You may have a shorter jacket, but it's the only thing that will work for sure. You need a special "Leather" sewing machine needle if you want to do it yourself. Or you can take it into a dry cleaner for the hemming or a leather specialist. Of course you always have this option to fall back on if the above doesn't work out.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsOctober 9, 2008
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
🎄