Tips For An Abundance Of Squash

What can I do with an abundance of squash that has gotten big (maybe too ripe)?

Kathy from Coatesville, PA

If its zucchini squash you can bake bread or pie or even cookies. I have made all 3 and are they delicious.

Zucchini can be shredded by hand or in a food procceror and frozen raw. When ready to use, just defrost, drain well and use in bread, cakes or throw it into vegetable soup, meat loaf or any other dishe that you you want to be juicy.

The size makes no difference. I recently used up the last of a squash that was 14 inches long and as thick as an eggplant. It was given to me last year.

You could use the shredded zucchini to make fritters by adding flour, salt & pepper & beaten egg & dropping by spoonfulfuls into hot oil. Be sure to drain the excess liquid from the shredded zukes before adding the flour & egg. Drain cooked fritters on paper towels or brown paper.

Another way to use large zucchini is to slice into rounds and prepare same as eggplant parmesan.

Delicious... think I'll make some tonite!

Anita from Montclair, NJ

Is it yellow squash, or zucchini (green)? Either way, I believe that their recipes are interchangeable. I make bread, patties/pancakes, I pan fry them w/ onions, and I also make casseroles. My favorite casserole is sliced zucchini, tomatoes, onions, and mozzarella cheese baked 'til it's just starting to bubble and getting brown on top.

Last night we grilled out (gas grill) and I chopped up into bite-size pieces some zucchini, Vidalia onion, and Roma tomato. I tossed these w/ a little olive oil, garlic powder, and sea salt and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Then I double-wrapped them in foil (dotted with a bit of butter) and we put them on the grill for about 45 minutes. Yum!

If squash (especially zucchini) is big you can do the same thing you would do to make stuffed peppers. Scoop out the seeds (if you want to eat them, you could cook them and mix with rice and hamburger or ground turkey), stuff with the same thing you would use for stuffed peppers, cover with tomato sauce and bake. Slice off slices of the stuffed zuccini. We made this all the time when I was a kid, but since I've lived in FL Ihaven't seen big zucchini in the grocery stores.

Just the other day we had a very large one. I happen to like the large ones and the not quite full seeds. I french fried it with a batter. But I think I prefer the sliced long slabs about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch dipped in beaten egg then in flour and fried in a smaller amount of oil than french frying. This is the way I like fried green tomatoes best too.

Wait 'til dark, put your squash in a sturdy paper bag, go next door, open the neighbors car door and leave the squash in the back seat. Who knows They may be thrilled!

I read this years ago , done by a humorist --don't remember who . At the time I had a bumper crop of zuchinni squash. It was hilarious. And tempting.

Just could not resist. Good luck

Try this jam recipe. It is good:

APRICOT-PINEAPPLE JAM (ZUCCHINI)

6 c. grated zucchini

1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple and juice

1 pkg. MCP pectin

6 c. sugar

2 sm. pkg. apricot Jello (or 1 lg. pkg.)

Use large zucchini. Peel zucchini squash and remove seeds. Grate 6 cups. Place in large jelly kettle on medium heat and bring to boil gently, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 hour. Add to kettle, pectin, crushed pineapple and sugar. Bring to boil and boil 8-10 minutes. Remove from stove and stir in apricot Jello thoroughly. Pour into jelly jars and seal with hot lids. Thickens as it sets.

Enjoy !

If it is zucchini you can cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, put a little olive oil on the outside, fill the scooped out part with Mexican corn, top with Mexican shreeded cheese and grill..REAL GOOD

And the following link has TONS of ideas

http://www.goodbyecitylife.com/home/zucchini.htm

In spite of all of the wonderful things that you can cook with zucchini, sometimes one just cannot use it all up. You can freeze shredded zucchini, as someone else suggested. However, a nice thing that people do in my small hometown is to put a box of them in the postoffice with a sign saying that people can take what they like. Usually all of the zucchini are taken. If you live in a city, you could donate them to a food bank.

Louise, Nipawin, SK.

SHRED IT,ADD TO SAUCES FOR SPAHGETTI,SOUPS ,BREADS ,COOKIES,SPICE CAKE,MEATLOAF. COOK THEN PUREE. ADD TO CANNED SOUPS,SAUCES,STEWS.MAKE SWEET PICKLES, CHOW-CHOW.,SCOOP OUT MIDDLE,SPRINKLE WITH BROWN SUGAR,CINNAMON, BUTTER AND BAKE.

I just finished frying a batch of zucchini pancakes,

Shred the z and a carrot, add beaten egg, flour salt pepper and grated parm. cheese. fry it or bake on a cookie. I can't cook them fast enough for my family. Enjoy!

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJuly 31, 2007
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
basket of sweet potato squash
Growing Sweet Potato Squash (Delicata Squash)
summer squash
Drying Squash
Freezing Squash
Freezing Squash
🎉
🎄