Baking Breads in a Can

Use a soup or vegetable can to bake breads, such as date nut bread. Just wash can, take paper off, spray with cooking spray, and bake. Open the other end with can opener, and the bread will slide out. Makes great little individual loaves for gift giving.

Source: my mom

By Diana from Highland, MI

December 22, 2010 Flag

I want to bake banana bread and other types of sweet bread in a 26.5 ounce can. How long do I bake it?

Mary from Houston, Texas

Baking Breads In A Can

If you have a recipe for banana bread, use the same amount of time as called for in the recipe.

You'll have to test and see if it's done baking by poking the sweet bread with a toothpick. (10/07/2008)

Baking Breads In A Can

I checked out some quick bread recipes (not banana) that baked for 45-50 minutes (can being 2/3's full) at 350 degrees F. One used 20 oz cans and one called for one pound coffee cans.

This recipe for Banana Bread below calls for 375 degree temp for an hour and a quarter (75 minutes).

It seems to depend on the recipe but that gives you some guidelines.

I would test with a piece of dry spaghetti so you can test closer to the center. Banana bread is so moist usually you want to be sure it is done in the middle.

I made some quick bread in cans years ago but they were small soup cans that I used.

By Kaelle

Baking Breads In A Can

I make persimmon bread for Christmas every year. I bake 3 in one pound coffee cans for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Delicious and they freeze well. (10/08/2008)

By annieb.

Baking Breads In A Can

I've done this in the past and do the "by guess and by golly" method and after about 15 minutes, keep an eye on things! Be sure to use a lot of "Pam"! (10/10/2008)

By Teri

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking BreadDecember 22, 2010
Baking a pizza on a baking stone.
Using a Baking Stone
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Making Decorative Breads
Making Decorative Breads (Non-edible)