No-Carb Flour Alternative

By Carol Getz 6

Instead of flour is there another product that I can grind and use to make bread that has no carbs?

By Carol from PA

Showing: Answers Sort

thr436488 Flag

If there is something I can grind to make a flour that is no carb and would make good bread, I'd love to know what it is too, but I think there is no such animal.

People who are trying to cut down on carbs sometimes use almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed flour, soy flour or others. But all flours are not created equal. You can make bread with certain flours, but other flours make terrible bread. That same flour might make terrible gravy, for example. So certain flours for certain recipes. Also, one flour has more or less carbs than another. The best thing to do is read labels. Some labels will specify how many carbs per tablespoon and others per cup, ounce, etc. so you might have to do a little math so you can compare. 8 oz = 1 cup, 16 tablespoons = 1 cup.

Additional math will sometimes be needed when you read the nutritional label. First you need to know about 'net carbohydrates' and 'total carbohydrates'. Fiber is a carbohydrate's best friend because for every gram of fiber that is in a food, you can subtract one gram of carbohydrates. For example, if a flour says 1 cup has 45 grams of 'total' carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, you would subtract 11 from 45. So the net carbs in this imaginary flour would be 34 grams per cup. The other 11 grams cannot be digested by our bodies, so we can act like they aren't there. That's the good news.

Some labels will list the 'net carbohydrates'. In that case the math is done for you, but other labels will only list 'total carbohydrates' which means it's math time. Whether it is flour, pasta or any other food, the net carbs math thing still applies. If you want low carb pasta that tastes good, several people here at ThriftyFun, including me, highly recommend Dreamfields Pasta which is available in most large grocery stores.

The web can be very helpful to you. There are lots of low carb bread recipes out there and you can check some of them out to learn what type of flour will make a good loaf of bread. Best of luck to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

You have to have the carb, the flour, the gluten. Or you don't have bread, you would have, at best, a cracker.

Do not BAKE in a bread machine. My 2 pound recipe in the bread machine makes 3 loaves when turned out and put into pans.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Moogies 3 29 Flag

I don't know of anything you can "grind", but one product I've discovered is CarbQuik. It's a lot like Bisquik and is made from flour (so, no nasty soy taste), but has 90% fewer carbs!

Here's some info: http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/carbquik-faq.html

It should be coming to Kroger's soon. The best price I could find was at Netrition.com: http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbquik_page.html

You can make everything from biscuits to McGriddles with it - here are some recipes: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recip ... ?cat=all&stype=1&si=carbquik

I even use it to bread fish or chicken to fry and it works very well.

I'm not affiliated with this product - but I AM a long-time low-carber (seems I'm always dieting...) Good luck to you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

I've heard that you can dry, then grind zucchini to make a flour. It would seem to be a good additive to regular flour, but I don't think it would work well on its own for breads and such.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 25 1,120 Flag

Not a flour substitute in entirety, but to replace some carbs and add protein get Vital Wheat Gluten. It is wheat with the fiber and starch removed leaving only the protein. It is used as a partial substitute. Hodgson's and Bob's Red Mill have it. Find it in health food stores or the health food section of your supermarket. Also use it to make your own Seitan (vegetarian meat substitute).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsApril 23, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
hdtv
Saving Money on an HD Antenna
One side removed making the crib into a day bed for a toddler.
Alternative Uses for a Crib
Stick Deodorant
Alternative Uses for Stick Deodorants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:30:38 PM on 10.0.2.127 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings