Are There Hydrangeas That Are Naturally Blue?

A friend told me that no hydrangea is naturally blue. One has to be forced through one method or another to create that color. I find that hard to believe. My grandmother always said that one had to plant iron nails in the soil to create the color one wanted. I don't remember doing anything special to mine but it is a beautiful blue and has been for many years. Anyone know anything about this please? Thanks.

snoonie from Baltimore, MD

I have heard you can change the color of your hydrangea by changing the alkaline of the soil.

I made a note to check my books when I get home, when I saw the 'related links' listed to the right of your question--one was how to change to color of your hydrangeas! I knew it had to do with the acidity/alkalinity of the soil [the ph] but couldn't remember which was which. Check out that item y'self an' see. {I remember my mom had hydrangeas when I was little--didn't care what made the colors, just that I thought they all were beautiful!}

The color of your hydrangeas depends a lot on the ph of the soil . If the soil is acid like you get nice blue ones and if you have alkaline soil , they might come out pink.

I had a friend of mine that would sneak a beer out of the house to drink while mowing the lawn. He later buried the tin (not aluminium__) can under the hydrangeas bushes. Well when that can rusted out and acidified the soil he had beautiful colored flowers. HIs wife always wondered why her plants had so much color and the neighbors with the same plants, had dull plants.

I have a blue hydrangea bush in my yard. That is how I bought from my local garden store. Didn't do a thing to it.I have also seen many blue hydrangeas in yards.

I understand about changing the pH etc. re: changing the color, but does anyone know if they are bred to be blue or is that a natural color of the flower or not?

Thank you all very for your responses to date.

Sincerely, Sue

If your hydrangeas are too pink for your taste, you can change the color by using aluminum sulfate. But you will probably have to do it every year. Here is a very informative website that I am sure will answer your question. http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html

Nope. There is no naturally blue Hydrangeas, if you add sulfur in your soil it makes them blue, and to make them pink you can add lime to the dirt.

If your Hydrangea is blue without you having to do anything to the soil, it is because you already have acidic soil. Azaleas and Rhododendrons would do great in your yard, too.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webap ... ;cid=wport0012&CAWELAID=64921579 - this variety is bred to be blue in many soils, so YES, there are blue hydrangeas.

I don't know how to thank the many readers for their generous replies to my questions. You are a group of really wonderful people. Again thank you all so very much.

Sincerely, Sue

Has to do with ph of soil. Alkali, also called base ph produces blue. (Lime). Acid produces more of a pink/red shade: peat moss or sulphur. I like the blue myself. Your soil must be alkali in the spot where it grows.

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJune 18, 2008
Hydrangeas
Dividing Hydrangeas
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Photo of a purple Hydrangea.
Changing the Color of Hydrangeas
Hydrangeas in a Clay Pot
Growing Hydrangeas in Containers
🎄