Growing Hydrangeas in Containers

Category Container
While it is possible to grow hydrangeas in containers, there are some steps you will need to follow to keep your plants happy and healthy. This is a guide about growing hydrangeas in containers.

Will planting a maple leaf hydrangea in a large copper pot effect it in any way, for example its growth?

By Carmen T.

Answers

As far as I know the problem is not only with copper but with any metal. It has something to do with the electrical phenomenom created by the metal, the water and the mineral salt. I don't know what the effect is but I never succeeded growing plant in metal containers. You should also consider the fact that copper oxide is toxic unless the inside of your pot is tinned. The copper oxide problem could be solved if you use a plastic sheet to avoid contact between the plant and the copper.

I cut the flowers from my potted hydrangea for a flower arrangement. Is there any way I can get the plant to reflower?

By Ginny

Answers

Ginny

Potted Hydrangeas from nurseries are forced to bloom. It is unlikely, even under ideal conditions, to bloom again in that pot.

Plant the little baby outside, giving it plenty of room. If properly card for, it will bloom again and again for at least the next fifty years.

The leaves on the hydrangea potted plant outdoors are turning yellow. Is the cause of this under watering? Will it flower next year?

Answers

Usually in potted plants, yellow leafs, mean overwatered.

I have some hydrangea plants which are ready to plant out and two large (approx 30 cms) diameter pots full of ericaeous compost. Would this be suitable for growing them in?

By Nev W