Puppy Won't Stop Biting People

This is my new puppy Siddhartha (Shepherd/Husky mix). I am looking for some training suggestions to stop playful biting?

By Scott from Chicago, IL

I read an article about using a spray bottle filled with water or a can filled with rocks, making a rattle. When the dog starts nipping you either spray the water at him or shake the rattle.. the vet who wrote the article says they are both good deterrents and excellent behavior modification techniques that will produce results but not harm the dog. I never used either one as our pup did not go through that stage. Maybe another member has had some experience using one or the other?

I use pennies in a can for my 9 month old puppy and I have to say that it really works. I also use it for training, barking, jumping, chewing, marking for boys, pretty much any kind of "bad behavior."

I find the best thing to do is keep a dog on the leash at all times and correct it when it starts this unwanted biting. I work at my local humane society and I am the owner of 8 rescued dogs. I find that most people give their puppies too much freedom. Keeping a leash on them at all times allows for easy correcting. Once you correct them with a pop of the collar and a loud NO have them sit then praise the good behavior. Just redirect the unwanted into something more productive.

When he bites let out a high pitched squeal. He will get the message.

Yes, you can use a spray bottle. when he starts to go and nip them make him sit down and hold his mouth and say a firm no. The #1 bad choice is to hit them. They think they stop but all it does is make them scared of you.

I have found that the best way to stop this is to make the puppy think that whenever they bite/chew on the human, it hurts them. I do this by curling their top lip over their own teeth when they chew on my hand. This way, they are actually "biting" themselves (I do not pinch their lip, they do the work themselves). I have found in short order they associate chewing me with biting themselves. I have never had a problem after I've done this, usually only a handful of times, if that. However, I did have one dog who continued to try to "gum" my hand occasionally! He never bit down. It was like he was just going through the motions. and that stopped after a while too.

Two cute puppies, one bitting the other.
Teaching a Puppy Not to Bite
Pets Dogs Training AdviceApril 6, 2010
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Aggressive Puppy
Training an Aggressive Puppy
puppy in crate
Puppy Pees in Crate
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄