Making a Blanket

How do you make a blanket where the edges are cut in strips and then tied in knots all around the edges? It is a double sided blanket. I would want to make a large one for a double bed.

Debby from Vinton

I made one of these for my sister for Christmas a couple years ago...they are REALLLLLY easy!

Take equal amounts of fleece material. Lay them on top of each other (if one is patterned, make sure the pattern is showing) and cut out all four corners. Then start cutting your strips (I used Pinking Shears, but you don't have to if your fleece doesn't "ravel") about 1/4-1/2 inch wide (your preference). What I did was cut a side, tie the 2 strips together for that side and moved on to the next side. The finished blanket (if using 2 pieces of fleece) will be VERY warm.

You CAN also do this with a piece of fleece and a patterned sheet to make it lighter-weight, but I would definitely use pinking shears then because a sheet will ravel.

HTH...if you have any questions, you can e-mail me at:

My sister made one for my son for Christmas this year. She used scissors - the scissors have a handle and a round blade (these type of "scissors" are extremely sharp) that cuts through both pieces of the fabric. She had to use a piece of wood to keep the scissors from cutting through her work surface.

my note on this site:

i used 2-2/3 yards (5'6" my height). i used a print and a solid color. place wrong sides together (best on the floor) pin in and around the whole blanket 4". cut out a 4" square from each corner. cut 1" strips up/along each side and begin tieing..i tied the strips so the printed strip ended up on the solid color side, etc. make sure to use GOOD scissors to cut, like Fiskars. for a double bed, ask the lady prior to cutting how much you would need.

fleece tie blanket
Making Fleece Tie Blankets
Crafts AdviceJanuary 1, 2007
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Making a No-Sew Dog Throw
Making a No-Sew Dog Throw
Three Fleece Blankets
Making A Fleece Blanket