Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of My Yard

I'm having problems with baby copperheads. Just this month I've found three. One of them got into my house. I've lived in the same house for 3 years and never had this problem before. I read that this is the month that they should be hibernating. Why are they moving around and what can I do to locate where they might be? Does this mean that the nest or den is close by?

By Stacy from Honey Grove, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Carol Swanson [17]11/02/2009

I think for a poisionous snake, I'd hire an exterminator.

I have garter snakes that live between my foundation and the sidewalk. I've had them come into my basement family room. They are very annoying. I live in PA where snakes hibernate for the winter. I understand that snakes don't like strong or bad smells. They are repelled by them. imho, one visit from an exterminator would be well worth the money spent. He can advise you about what you need to do.

By kathleen williams [23]10/29/2009

Go to Sentinel Electronic Snake Repeller, lot of info there, good luck.

Here are questions related to Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of My Yard.

Question: Getting Rid of Copperhead Snakes

Do copperhead snakes leave scents behind when they are killed to let other copperheads know the area is unoccupied? I ask this because we are staying on a farm and that is what they say. So we respect their wishes and we relocate the copperheads, across a river, instead of killing them.

By A.C.

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]03/09/2012

Copperheads seem to travel in pairs, which is why you probably find another after relocating the first. There is also a nonpoisonous snake that closely resembles a copperhead. A veterinarian told me this. He said that people often kill it thinking it is a copperhead - even the old timers, but it isn't. One of the only ways to tell is to look for fangs, which I'm sure you won't want to do unless it's dead.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of My Yard

Is there a snake I can keep around my property that will either eat or drive away copperheads? Last year we counted 5 different copperheads in our yard. As far as I know there are still there. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old who think snakes are great. My 2 year old thinks she can play with them so I am terrified she will get too close to a venomous one. I won't kill them, but if I can get a non-venomous snake to move in to take their place it would be great.

Andrea from Grundy, VA

RE: Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of My Yard

Call your local conservation department. They will surely advise you and/or come get them and relocate them to a better wild area. (01/30/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Black snakes keeps the copperheads away, they kill them. If you don't go the snake against snake route, use sulphur. You can buy sulphur in 25# bags. I use it to keep away snakes of all kinds and it keeps ticks away as well. You shouldn't let your children play around the sulphur for safety sake. What I buy comes in small ball-like pellets, not powder. It does work, I have used it and I don't have any snakes around of any kind. Call the Conservation Office for any other help. (01/30/2009)

By piwacket

There are sites that sell plastic Owls with movable heads for keeping birds and snakes away. Owls eat snakes so they scare them away. The trick is to move them around at least once a week. (01/30/2009)

By Cyinda

Get a tom cat, then they kill rats and snakes. (01/31/2009)

By theseamstress

My grampa used Guineas when he was growing up. They are like watch dogs and very noisy if anything comes around your house, but they eat all kinds of snakes. I have friends that have chickens and one Guinea and they have never seen a snake on their property. (02/03/2009)

If you can locate a king snake, they're good to keep around your house because they eat all other snakes. Or, you can do what I do and spread sulfur powder around the perimeter of your yard, snakes will not cross that. You can get it at just about any garden supply place. (02/03/2009)

By tedsmom