Set Up A Pet Care Savings Account

I see a lot of requests for advice about sick pets from people unwilling or unable to go to the vet due to the expense. Here is what has worked for me. I have added pet care into my weekly budget.

I started a savings account. Each payday, the amount I have determined I can afford goes directly into that account. I do not use it for anything except vet costs. It adds up quickly and I always have enough for at least a checkup in that account.

Pets who receive regular checkups have less emergencies in the long run, as trouble can be detected before it is too late. We owe them nothing less.

By Kelly from Portland, OR

This is a really good idea. Planning ahead makes all the difference.

What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing!

Good advice - and there are WAY too many requests on ThriftyFun regarding a pet's health. Some are very serious problems too. Everyone should understand they should talk to their vet about their pet's health first!

I'm in complete agreement. About time someone said this.

Marg from England.

I have one credit card that I use for my animals.

Plus I have 250.00 every two weeks come out of my account to a saving account. I just have to watch what I spend anymore since I have 13 "Kid's",

We do the same thing for our car. My adult son and I put $20 each in a savings account every month.

I have done the same for my two dogs and kitty. There is a huge cushion waiting if they need it. I learned the hard way when my dog came down with Lymphoma and I went deep into debt for her chemo.

Now, I don't have to worry about another illness striking as I add to their savings account every month.

Couldn't agree more. I have 3 dogs and have a separate account into which I put $30 each fortnight. When it's time for vaccinations and check-ups I don't have to worry. I've had a couple of emergency treaments whuch were quite expensive but I had peace of mind knowing I could cover the cost.

For a few weeks I put a little extra into the account to top it up. I live in the tropics and have to maintain tick prevention all year round and that sure adds up. As much as I love all dogs I don't let myself get caught up by taking in more than I can afford. If you can't manage to give them all the treatment and care they need and deserve then don't take them on. Too many animal lovers are doing their pets a disservice by not being able to afford proper care. loving them just isn't enough.

A photo of a dog getting medical care.
Saving Money for Pet Medical Expenses
Pets HealthAugust 5, 2008
Cat and Dog Sitting Together
Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Overdrawn bank account.
Dealing With an Overdrawn Bank Account
Couple Using Online Savings Institution
Choosing the Best Online Savings Institution