Remedy for Split Ends Other Than Trimming

How can I fix split ends except trimming? Please suggest some alternative solutions. Thank you.

By Ananya from Karachi

Mix 1/2 cup of protein enriched deep conditioner mix well with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Put into dry hair and wrap in plastic for thirty minutes (I use a plastic grocery bag and twist at front, secured with a clothes pin). Wash and condition as usual. Repeat weekly. I have been doing this for several years. I have not cut my ends in six years and they are well conditioned.

I was a hairstylist for 35 years (as were both of my parents before me) and I can honestly tell you that there is no way to 'repair' split ends other than trimming them off. Anything else is just a smoke and mirror cover up fix because hair is a dead appendage. Spending a bunch of money or time trying to repair it would be like trying to put a piece of scotch tape on a piece of torn paper hoping it will look better and hoping it will not tear any further. Please know that split ends can continue splitting up the hair shaft so your best safe bet is gentle handling of your hair and trims as needed.