BreadFood Tips

Molasses Butter and Bread

Am I the only one that likes to eat Grandma's Molasses mixed with a teaspoon of butter, to dip a piece of bread in? I never read about this type of recipe anywhere else. My mom taught me that years ago, and said that during the war, sometimes that was all they had to eat for desert.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

When I was a child, we would get cold biscuits and turn it on the side and bore a hole on the edge with our finger. We would then pour cane (NOT MAPLE) syrup into the hole. We called them "syrup biscuits". We all LOVED them! Boy, it has been MANY a year since I had thought of this particular childhood memory!

Those were the simple pleasures! Thanks for sharing yours.

You are definitely not the only one! Molasses and butter biscuits...mmmmm! This is a southern delicacy! (imo)

No indeed Robyn. There is nothing better, and sad to say I have lost that dear privelege due to diabetes, so "sop" a biscuit for me the next time.

I love Molasses and butter. I put a heap of molasses on my plate then put some butter on it, then mix it together and use my biscuit to soak it up. Yumm! I am the only one in my family that likes molasses.

My mother gave us molasses & bread - no butter - when we were kids. I think molasses has iron in it?

I loved it.

Well I don't do it with molasses but king syrup and butter. I make a paste and then dip bread in it.

My grandmother and Dad both always ate this after a meal, even if they had a dessert after. They were from OK and my Dad was born the year that it became a state. If they didn't have molasses, they would use syrup or honey. As another said, during hard times, this was the only sweets that they had.

Anonymous

Hello I haven't heard of this but when I was a child we would heat some milk and put Grandma's Molasses in a cup for a hot drink I really liked it.

Molasses is high in potassium. I'll take a heaping tsp full and put it in the fridge freexer for about 20 min. then savor it off the spoon.