Removing Hard Water Stains

I have a well and the water tends to leave a rusty color on everything, including my sun room windows. They look like they are tinted. I have tried everything. What will clean this rusty residue off my windows?

By AL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

At one time I owned a janitor service. When there was anything on a window that was hard to remove, I would use fine steel wool, sometimes it helps to wet it slightly. I'm not talking about steel wool soap pads. You can find fine steel wool at hardware stores like Home Depot. This is a lot of work, so only go to this method if you can't find a cleaner that will work for you.

I am not much help with this. I used to have shower door and I swore I would never have them again. I now have a shower curtain that I can replace much more cheaply than shower doors when the begin to look bad.

Bar Keepers Friend, as someone suggested is an excellent product. I use it also on my cooktop stove.

Answer

For hard water stains in dishwashers, tubs, sinks, washers, almost anywhere, I use Lime Away. It's sold in local dollar stores, Walmart, etc. A lot of stores carry this product. I used to be a housekeeper and used this faithfully.

You really should use gloves, and the smell is pretty strong, but believe me, it really works wonders. In dishwashers I let it run though the whole cycle. Once you use this product you'll never be without it.

Source: Gained knowledge through years of cleaning.

By "A" from Wheeling, WV

Removing Hard Water Stains

I can't afford Lime Away, so I found a product called "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner (the one in the larger bottle). It works miracles on calcium and rust. Even our Dollar Tree has it. (11/24/2009)

By hibbardg

Removing Hard Water Stains

Hey, this is it! I tried every method on this topic and still had streaky water spots on glass doors. Someone mentioned grout cleaner, so I went digging through my garage and found Restore4 colored grout cleaner. I used it with a green scratchy pad and it worked! After rinsing with clear water and squeegee - they shined. It even stood the direct sunlight test. I am using clarifying shampoo (for chlorine in hair) and a squeegee to maintain. (02/02/2010)

By houstonred

Removing Hard Water Stains

A professional window washer told me there was nothing he could do to remove water spots from a window that the irrigation system had been hitting. So I read all the reviews on this site, and tried a couple of solutions.

First was a Scotch Brite (steel) wool soap pad. It did a fair job. Then I tried Bar Keeper's Friend (for stainless steel sinks). I applied it with a damp sponge then flipped the sponge over to the scrubby side. After only a few minutes of mild elbow grease, I wiped the residue off with paper towels, then washed with Windex. Spots were gone! I was amazed and very pleased. Didn't scratch the glass, either. (03/22/2010)

By kathyks7

Removing Hard Water Stains

I'm not sure if they sell it here in the US but if they do it would probably be in the cleaning section. For those of you who go to Mexico there is a product (very inexpensive) called Acido Muriatico. It's a white bottle with a red top and red letters. That will take the stains away in a second! All you have to do is pour some on a sponge or an old rag and just wipe (no scrubbing necessary) the glass. Rinse it off and they are gone. Just make sure you put some gloves on to protect your hands because it will dry your hands if you don't. After you try it, you'll love having those glass shower doors. (04/11/2010)

By GloEd

Removing Hard Water Stains

Acido Muriatico (GloEd)
AKA: Muratic Acid

Found where pool supplies are sold. Very effective but take care to avoid injury to yourself and about anything else it comes in contact with. Check compatibility closely. Strong stuff. (04/22/2010)

By Campesino805

Removing Hard Water Stains

How to remove hard water stains?? I have literally tried everything, Lime Away, CLR, lemon juice, vinegar - the list goes on and on. I have purchased more useless (in my opinion) products and you know what worked miraculously? Tried and true SOS pads!

I would never have thought, but my mom said "do it" and it worked with little effort or time wasted, and at a low cost. Try it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Worked on my car where the sprinklers had hit repeatedly, my shower doors, they are crystal clear now. (07/07/2010)

By mskim63

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am having a problem with my glass shower doors. They feel clean so I think it's hard water stains. I have tried lots of things and am now wondering if I will have to replace them.

By annmarie53 from Ireland

Removing Hard Water Stains from Windows

I was having problems with hard water stains on windows-like previous responses - started trying a lot of things that did not work - then taking the lead off of another feedback did the following - I used fine steel wool and "super concentrated pro 409 Formula" multi purpose cleaner (straight from the bottle) - sprayed, rubbed with steel wool, wiped with paper towels and follow up with a microfiber towel for buffing - this worked for me.
(09/15/2009)

By dingaling39

Removing Hard Water Stains from windows

I posted a suggestion for hard water stains on patio doors - using Super Concentrated Pro 409 Formula - I needed some more and I can't locate - I called the company - product no longer available. (09/16/2009)

By dingaling39

Removing Hard Water Stains from Showers and Tubs

We have extremely hard water and used to have a horrible getting shower/tub/glass clean until I tried Smart Solutions best working tub and tile cleaner, sold at Dollar General. It is a white spray bottle with red, yellow and green label and is excellent! Spray on, rub with old bath cloth or piece of towel and rinse. Finish by spraying on a coat of TILEX Fresh Shower prolongs cleanliness.
(09/18/2009)

By Cheape T

My elderly neighbor enlisted me to try to clean up a set of clear shower doors that were covered in moderate hard-water deposits. After trying a Lime and Scale remover she had purchased with no apparent effect, I hit the Net and found this thread and the recommendations for Bar Keepers Friend.

Picked up a can of BKF at the Local SprawlMart for less than two bucks and using a No-Scratch Scotch-Brite pad and a little elbow grease, had the shower doors looking just like new in about 1/2 an hour. One nice thing about the product is there is very little odor from the product while using it.

Thanks, Bar Keepers Friend! (09/24/2009)

By Dave_in_NorCal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A while ago I asked for shower cleaning products for hard water. I got Greased Lightening and I can't remember the other and lost the paper. Something like Good Stuff or Clean Stuff? Could you please help?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To remove hard water stains from your shower all you need is Barkeepers Friend. Also works well on enclosed cook tops.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have ugly, hard water stains on my glass shower stall. I'd like a more permanent solution than wiping, squeegeeing or spraying after each shower.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our shower door seems to be etched with hard water stains. Nothing I have tried will remove.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to remove hard water stains/soap scum from my shower doors?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsJuly 22, 2010
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Cleaning Well Water Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 3:04:15 AM on 10.0.0.199 in 405 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.