Tips for Selecting Dog Food

What kind of dog food should I feed my boxer puppy?

By redrubyslippers09 from Covington, IN

It really depends. My dog has a very sensitive stomach so we use the petsmart brand. One brand that has specific types of food for different breeds. Its called royal canin. I believe they have one for boxers.

Take the Purina One 30 day challenge and you'll never use another brand again!

I know it costs more to buy a high quality dog food ( such as Wellness, Dick Van Patten, etc.), but it can save you money in vet bills and give you a healthier dog. (We have an American Bulldog that has allergy issues. Our vet recommended that we stay away from foods that contain wheat, corn, rice, and chicken (allergy triggers). We put him on the Dick Van Patten and it has really helped. ) Make sure you check the protein amount, as boxers are high energy dogs. ( If you really want to read about dog foods and some of the junk that goes into the cheaper brands, check out The Whole Dog Journal.)

I think it depends on the dog. I feed my dog Walmart's Ol'Roy; she didn't like Kibbles and Bits, or Beneful, or the cheapest. We give her the occasional small steak or roast bone, vegetable soup leftovers. I have a casserole she will sit and watch cook for over an hour just for her share..[lots of veggies, lean hamburger, salsa, corn bread topping]. We don't give her anything fatty. She has a shiny coat, has more energy than I do, and is lean and fit. Our life is her life. I don't have a huge income but she gets the best of what we have to offer.

Canidae is a good dog food. More expensive than some, but if you want a good quality dog food, it will cost a bit more. Be sure to read the ingredients list. As already noted, check out The Whole Dog Journal.

Dick Van Patten would be your best choice, but if money is an issue step down to blue buffalo or maybe the ultra nutro no corn no wheat of course these products can only be bought at pet stores in the end going with a better dog food, you have less vet bills, less stool, and the dog will not eat as much either because the food is higher in quality than the cheaper brands that use empty fillers.

My vet recommends Hill's Science Diet because it is nutritionally backed by science. I read the list of ingredients and % nutrition chart and alternate between this brand and other nicer brands with a similar nutritional analysis and %.

I alternate just in case the dog gets tired of the same old flavor and each manufacturer may put in different essential ingredients. BTW, when there was a giant dog food recall some years back, Hill's Science Diet was NOT in the recall.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 23, 2009
Asparagus in a Bamboo Steamer
Selecting Good Asparagus
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent