Information About An Antique Fiddle

I have a fiddle that reads inside, Antonius Stradiuaius Cremonenfis Faciebat Anno 1722. by Howard Coato pay-something. I can"t make out the last name. It also has a symbol on it, a circle with AtS in it. It has superb sound.

I have played it for thirty years now in contests and mini concerts. I have never had to have an amp or a mic with it. It is a double back blonde with all four fine tuners. I am trying to find its history and see how much it is worth. My father bought it for me thirty year ago at a small pawn shop.

By Tami F. from Horseshoe Bend, ID

Go to the library and look in books about fiddles/violins, and see what you can find out.

You are best to go to a person who specializes in appraising stringed instruments. It might cost a few dollars, but you should know its value for insurance purposes.

Unfortunately, it is most likely not a "real" Stradivarious, but still may be worth a fair bit.

You can also look on Ebay, just to get a ball park idea, but really, you should find a luthier/appraiser.

You should pay to have it appraised by an expert. The authentication of a violin can be determined only by a careful examination of such things as the design, model, craftsmanship, wood, and varnish. It is not hard to distinguish the mass produced violins from the actual hand made instruments but it takes a well trained violin appraiser to be able to attribute the violin to a specific maker or place of manufacture.

At the very least have a violinist or two who play in a professional orchestra take a look at it because they most likely will be able to give you some idea of it's value. The odds against finding the real thing are slim to none. Only 512 of Stradivari original violins survive. Virtually none are unaccounted for.

You can find out a lot about Stradivari and his work at this link. There are 12 chapters with illustrations to check out including 'ticket/label' illustrations in one of the chapters.

http://www.cell  n/hill/index.htm

I don't believe a single word you wrote. You're obviously a simple scammer looking for profit. Shame on anyone who believes your post.

With all due respect, tomatohanger, I am certain that Tami's request is on the up and up. I did a couple of hours of searches on Stradivarius violins and 'ticket/labels' and there are thousands upon thousands and thousands of Stradivari copies in the entire world that have been made all around the world with labels that read as her fiddle says. Although they are copies they are still violins/fiddles and each have their own unique sound and beauty even if they aren't worth millions as the 512 authentic Stradivari that still remain are worth.

If you have played this instrument for the last thirty years why the sudden interest in it's history and value.?

There is no way to find out the value unless it's evaluated by a professional. The label is certainly a fake but that is a very common problem. "Regular" violins are valued mainly for their sound quality and can vary in value drastically.

Old Violin
Information and Value of Old Fiddles and Violins
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesApril 24, 2011
Antique China Cups and Saucers
Uses for Antique China
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 7:01:24 PM on 10.0.2.159 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.