Simple LivingBetter Living

Rubbermaid Boxes for Storage and Furniture

I use 13 gallon Rubbermaid boxes for all my storage. I give the boxes a number, and I keep and index card with the number and the contents (general) in that box. I stack my Rubbermaids two high, and cover with a pretty sheet and the colorful Mexican serapes. They look like a long covered table, and I place books or magazines on top.

I have a window seat of Rubbermaids, that I place pillows for seating. No one would guess that I have storage containers. I do have a bed, chairs and tables. What are in my storage: clothing, underwear, books, tapes, cassettes, magazines, old electronics, cords, Beta, 8 mm, and above all, my personal journal since age 15 and I am now almost 67. Travel postcards, family pictures etc.

I have five bookcases of VHS tapes, and many more on closet shelves and Rubbermaid boxes. Some are from 1979, and they still play. I may convert all of them to DVD, but Beta was the very best format. My friends who know about my collection, calls my home "The Rubbermaid Home". It works for me.

By Acajudi from Chicago, IL

Cool and helpful ideas! Love the numbering and listing contents. Also the ideas for coffee tables or window seats. Do you think plywood top over window seats would add more stability. With a little bit of sewing, you could make slipcovers for them. Thankyou! Thankyou!

This may really solve some of my storage problems, thank you so much. I know it's all stuff, but it's survived many "stuff" purges and until the next, I want it.

I like to use 30 gallon black trash receptacles, new of course to store stuff in. You can also get rid of the top and put a round wooden table top covered with a tablecloth or fabric. It is handy.