Using Less Dishwasher Detergent

Do not fill the two compartments full with dish washer soap. The heat and the movement of the water will clean the dishes before the soap is released. So only fill the first compartment half full.

By Laurie R. from Elm Creek, Nebraska

You are absolutely right!

When I first started using tablets, I doubted that the dishes would come clean because other than using two tablets, you can't put detergent in the second one. But they do come clean with just the tablet in the main compartment!

Another tip: Always run the water at the sink until it gets hot before starting the dishwasher. This way you're sure that all the water filling the dishwasher is hot.

I have never once put anything in the first compartment, and my dishes come out beautifully sparkly!

The soap dispenser on my dishwasher is not working. It will not lock, therefore the detergent is dispensed at the very beginning of the cycle. Does anyone know if this makes any difference to the cleaning process? Joan from Chesterfield, MI

Your dishwasher will only need to be set on a quick wash setting because there is no need to go through two washes if all the detergent is dispensed into the first wash. I almost always use the shorter wash anyway because it uses less hot water. Normal/full wash is only needed for burned or stuck on food...It is not needed for plates, glasses, cups and silverware. Good luck.

I ALWAYS only use half the amount of dishwasher detergent recommended. If I'm using tablets, I break them in half or only use the short wash cycle. Save hot water by only using the least amount of wash cycles needed for cleaning your dishes. (Same for clothes washer) Best of luck.

Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
Saving Money on Dishwasher Detergent
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 22, 2010
Clumped Detergent
Softening Clumped Dishwasher Detergent
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher Detergent
Other Uses for Dishwasher Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops