Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Estimating Food Quantities for a Party

0EmailPrintFollowSave

How do you estimate food for a graduation party?

By bennyman from Grand Rapids, MI

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Ashley 8 06/16/2009 Flag

My husband the Chef says 5 oz of starch (potatoes, rice, etc), 5 oz protein (meat, fish, etc), 3 oz vegetables, 3 oz fruit, 3 oz salad, and 1 piece of dessert per person. Hope this helps. You didn't mention if this was a buffet or a plated event.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Alana Brown 1 4 06/17/2009 Flag

Ms. spider's response sounds perfect, but if you'll be having a lot of teens, they might eat more meat (like one hot, one hamburger per) and drink a lot of soda if you provide it. They also eat more than 1 pp of dessert.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Here are questions related to Estimating Food Quantities for a Party.

Question: Shopping for Food for Graduation Party

I am having a graduation party in two weeks and we have sent out 160 invitations. On my daughter's menu she has hot creamy chicken sandwiches, cold turkey sandwiches, pasta salad, veggies and dip, chips, fruit cake, and punch. How do you know how much of anything to buy when you have no idea how many are coming?

By Sherry

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Tapestry Lady 2 197 05/31/2012 Flag

Years ago I had a friend who was big into entertaining and would often throw big open dinner parties. (Yes, she did have a lot of money, lol!) What she usually did was serve food on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those that showed up on time got the good stuff, while those who came later had to make do with nibbles.

I don't know what the wording of your invitations was like, but maybe you could do up hot food for about 50 people or less, then just have snacks or some sandwich fixings available for anyone else who shows. Someone could always run to the supermarket if you run short of food or drinks. I remember with my graduation a lot of kids were having parties the same day, so people tended to show up on a rolling basis. If people ask where the food is you could just act apologetic and say you've already had a crowd. ;-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes