How To Paint a Cement Floor

What is the best way to paint a cement porch floor? I would love to brighten up my porch for next year but want to do it right the first time...but I know NOTHING about types of paints, sealers, etc. Is one way better than another? Thanks.

Lois from Ludlow MA

I would go to the Home Depot, Lowes or a hardware store paint dept. where they have these products, and read the labels or ask the salesperson how to paint or stain a concrete floor. Cement is one of the products along with an aggregate and water that make concrete.

40 or more years ago we painted a cement porch.

It peeled!

It never looked good!

Would I do it again? No!

It peeled because you have to use a special paint in a special manner. It is called epoxy and you have to mix the color paint with a special "compound". We painted our garage floor with this method 10 years ago and have not had one incident of peeling.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringSeptember 6, 2007
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Stains on Cement
Removing Stains on Cement
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete