FlooringHome Improvement

How To Paint a Cement Floor

What is the best way to paint a cement porch floor? I would love to brighten up my porch for next year but want to do it right the first time...but I know NOTHING about types of paints, sealers, etc. Is one way better than another? Thanks.

Lois from Ludlow MA

I would go to the Home Depot, Lowes or a hardware store paint dept. where they have these products, and read the labels or ask the salesperson how to paint or stain a concrete floor. Cement is one of the products along with an aggregate and water that make concrete.

40 or more years ago we painted a cement porch.

It peeled!

It never looked good!

Would I do it again? No!

It peeled because you have to use a special paint in a special manner. It is called epoxy and you have to mix the color paint with a special "compound". We painted our garage floor with this method 10 years ago and have not had one incident of peeling.