Use Maps as Wrapping Paper

This wrapping paper idea came from one of my friends years ago. Use outdated atlases and maps for colorful, cool-looking, and good quality wrapping paper. I use mostly for birthday gifts, but cut out a silhouette of Santa in his sleigh and/or reindeers and attach for Christmas gifts. If you like this idea but don't have any maps to use, pick up some free ones at travel and visitor's centers the next time you are traveling.

By Britt from Boston, MA

What a great idea!! I will try that with the next map I get my hands on! Thanks!

Cool idea! I use old funny papers sometimes, especially the color ones!

What is really good is just newspaper. Like my dad said a long time ago. Why buy wrapping paper just for 1 time use they just rip it off & throw it away. Save your money & use newspaper.

I used to work for a flight school. They could only sell the flight maps in their store for so long, then they couldn't sell them any longer because they would be outdated. The outdated ones were free for the taking, and they make great wrapping paper!

Great Idea! Thanks for the tip.

That's a great idea, to use old maps as wrapping paper, the only this is...some of these OLD maps may be worth MONEY. I have Michigan maps dating back to the 1950's and they list some towns that no longer exist. My advice..check before wrapping.

Another great wrapping paper is the Sunday Funnies. They can be used to wrap gifts and, after removing carefully from the gift, can be read. The paper is colorful and something different. It also doesn't cost much but you do have to save it each Sunday. :-)

Glad to see someone else does this! I would not use very old maps, I just use those I got from AAA in past years for some road trips etc. Ask other people if they have some, also. Pillowcases are also wonderful, and you can select some neat ones at thrift stores or new with just the right pattern for the right person. I especially like pillow cases for single people or young families or men who live alone, these groups usually always need a new case, and you might give them a pillow, too, something people forget to buy for themselves.

Homemade wrapping paper made with different colored handprints in paint.
Homemade Wrapping Paper
Crafts Gifts Wrapping PaperNovember 12, 2008
Uses for Old Maps, Photo of an old map.
Uses for Old Maps
brown paper gift wrap
Frugal Gift Wrapping Ideas
Square version of tree top.
Making Recycled Paper Mini Trees
paper, scissors, tape, and other gift wrap supplies
Gift Wrapping Station Ideas
🎉
🎄