Starting Roses In November

In November, cut a blooming rose to where you will have a Y, then bury the stem including the Y. Then put a quart jar over the rose, sealing it into the ground. Remove the jar in April and with luck you will have a rooted rose bush. I don't transplant the first year. I don't use Root Grow but my daughter does. She got 21 started last year.

By Mildred

In Alabama, we wait until Thanksgiving through the New Year to take rose cuttings. Be sure there are 7-8 nodes on the cutting. Poke a hole in the ground with a stick or large screwdriver. Gently stick in the cutting with half of the nodes underground. Do not add dirt. Place a rock on either side of cutting on the ground to help support it. Let the winter rains do the rest. The first year we did 25 cuttings and had 21 bushes survive. Good luck!

I live in southern Ontario and wonder if that would work here, we get snow. It becomes below zero all winter, I will try it and see. Susan from Hamilton

Thank you! I"ll have to try that!

hi i was wondering on how to root roses ,mine is blooming now .can i do it now,im in south georgia

it is april now here and they are blooming ,i have a stem laying down on the ground how many cuttings can i get out of it.can i just cut it about six inches until i have used the limb up.

Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Home and Garden Gardening RosesOctober 14, 2004
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Raking Leaves
November's Gardening To-Do List
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate
🎉
🎄