Toilet Leaking Even After Replacing Seal

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do about our toilet stopping up and water coming out from under the toilet. I have had 4 new seals put on by qualified plumbers and was told it was fixed. We have had the drain cleaned and have stopped flushing anything but water. Our house is about fifty years old. Thanks for any feedback.

Donna from Tampa, FL

Obviously, if the drain were cleaned out, there would not be a blockage... can you ask a different plumber to investigate? Do you know a Mech. (Plumbing) Designer/Engineer that will stop by the house and evaluate as a 'friend'?

What about roots in the pipe? You can pour some food coloring (blue or red) into the toilet tank...see if you can notice any exterior leakage... (there is also a Bluing in the Laundry Section of the grocery store....used to help whiten clothing)

Check the seals, on each side, where the tank connects to the bowl.

Twice we replaced the seal where the bowl meets the floor, turns out it was the seal inside the tank, between the tank and that chimmey thingy, sorry can't think of the correct term.

We really thought the water was coming from under the bowl and it wasn't.

:)

I had this happen - to the point that I replaced the bathroom floor - twice! Turned out that the commode actually had a hairline crack in it. The man who installed it new had tightened the commode too tight. So what had happened was I'd replaced the floor, installed the new commode, but he cracked it. The crack didn't show up for a couple of years. In the meantime it had been slowly leaking under the floor vinyl. The man who installed it was a friend, so I couldn't go back and have him reimburse me - I just had to "eat" the cost of doing it over.

If you've had renovation done in the bathroom and/or replaced the floor, it may be that the floor ring is not longer at the right height relative to the floor and the wax seal is no longer exactly making a proper seal.

A qualified plumber should be able to check this easily but it may have been overlooked if it's "close".

In thinking a little more, additional settling to the house MAY have "raised" (again relative to the floor) the ring/waste connection. Still the same suggestion.

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingJanuary 8, 2009
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎉
🎄