Grate Soap to Form New Bars

Buy bar soap at rummage and garage sales-any kind including guest soaps. They can be beat-up, dried up, broken,etc. Grate them up with a coarse grater and add in any leftover soap slivers you may have on hand. Add enough liquid soap, dish detergent, or water to make it into a clay-like consistency. Form it into bars with your hands and let dry overnight.

It may be a little bumpy and colorful, but it works great and lasts a long time because the bars are bigger and not full of air.

By Sweet Pea from Butternuts, NY

I like your idea better than what I've been doing. I've simply been wetting old and new bars and squishing the two together, lol! I've also tried plopping old soap slivvers into a cup full of water until they almost liquify. Neither has worked all that well. Need to try it your way.

Making Homemade Soap, Bar of natural pine soap, with a pine branch, and a dish of green sea salt.
Making Homemade Soap
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMarch 31, 2010
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Cleaning Stainless Grill
Cleaning a Stainless Grill Grate
Striated homemade soap in reds, pinks, and blue.
Making Melt and Pour Soap
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale