BreadFood Tips

Bread Dough Fell in Refrigerator

Why would my thawed bread dough seem to rise, then a few days later, fall flat, in my refrigerator?

By Gabrielle from Las Vegas, NV

Why did the bread dough rise and then fall?

If the dough is allowed to rise too high, it will eventually collapse. For bread, the middle section of the dough should be allowed to rise only 1/2" to 1" above the side of the bread pan or it may fall. Recommended bread pan size is 8 1/2" X 4 1/2" X 2 1/2". Differently sized pans may cause the bread to fall, be misshapen, or appear coarse in texture. If the dough does rise too high, it can still be used. Remove the dough from the pan and knead it to remove the gas bubbles in the dough. Reform into the shape of a loaf and allow to rise. Keep in mind that it will rise more quickly the second time .good luck.

To clarify, my bread dough both rose and fell while in the refrigerator (on the door). After I noticed the fall, I took it out and let it rise in the kitchen for a pan of OK rolls (the texture was a little tough).

I appreciate the info, kffrmw88, especially about dough that rises too high; but I was actually more curious about the anomaly: bread dough rising/falling in the refrigerator? I didn't know that was possible. Apparently, it is. Weird.