MiscellaneousCleaning

Moldy Leather Luggage

Category Miscellaneous

My new leather luggage has molded because of all the rain. i thought maybe I could spray with fungus medication because leather is just processed skin. I am to use bleach because it's black leather. What do the professionals use?

Ms. Cynphey

I clean my leather briefcases and suitcases with WD-40

I would clean it like a leather saddle - a damp cloth and saddle soap to remove the grime and mould then a good quality leather cream or oil to seal and nourish the hide and keep it supple. Any animal feed store will have these items or the US substitutes. Bleach may alter the colour in patches - I wouldn't use it - and fungicide is not necessary. When cleaned, store your bags in a bag with a dampness absorbent product or increase the ventilation in their storage area.

Regards

Jo

Regards

Jo

Regards

Jo

Regards

Jo

saddle soap will attract moisture (to keep saddles soft) and therefore keep the mold also moisturized. that's the one thing you don't want!

You will need to use professional products. First kill the mould off with a mould remover - something to kill the bacteria.

Then condition the leather with a leather conditioner, wax based is good for leather. Here are tow products you could use.

http://www.furn  tage_Leather.htm

http://www.furn  _Neutraliser.htm

Lysol spray works great...If you can get some Microban AntiMicrobial (google the name) it is fantastic...I just dont know if you can order small quantities.

Lovin My Bags Antibacterial Cleaner is also a good option but its only available online.

Good luck!

To all those people advocating antibacterials to kill the 'bacteria', mold is not bacteria: it is fungi (same as mushrooms). fungi is multicellular. Google or wiki pictures of mold and bacteria and you will quickly see the vast differences just in appearance, let alone biology.

Kindest regards,

Microbiologist (by trade and education).