Keeping Lettuce Fresh

I buy romaine lettuce when it is on sale, and have found a way to keep it fresh and crisp for up to 4 weeks. Wash your romaine and core it when you get home from the supermarket. Put it in a colander to drain, then take a large plastic container and line it with enough paper towel to keep the lettuce dry. Layer lettuce and paper towel, and put a sheet of paper towel on top. Close the lid tight and this will keep like new for 4 weeks.

Open and close as often as you wish. As long as you put the top on tight, you will always have fresh romaine!

I discovered this by accident while doing an ahead of time family meal. When my family found out how long it lasted they were very eager to use the tip as well. This works equally as well for any type of grapes. Much less waste and more savings to be had!

By Deborah from East Margaree

This is so true! I have done this for years; especially when you buy from Costco, Sam's Club. etc. Forget those "green bags" you see on tv!

I do something similar with great results and just can't see spending the money for pre-washed romaine/salad greens. I take a large bunch of romaine and wash each leaf. Then I line up about 6-8 leaves on a clean tea towel. Put another tea towel on top of that and then keep layering the romaine leaves, tea towel, etc. When you have several 'layers' roll up the towels to get out most of the moisture.

I then put the washed leaves in a green bag and take out only what I need for a salad, sandwich, etc. Works great!