Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Careful preparation of your romain lettuce can help increase its shelf life and make it easier to quickly make a delicious salad. This is a guide about cleaning and storing romaine hearts
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I eat a lot of salad and like to buy the big bags of romaine hearts at Costco. I find that bagged salad goes bad very quickly, but preparing it this way myself allows the lettuce to last over a week.
- salad spinner
- storage container
- veggie wash, if desired
- Cut the end off of each romaine heart with a sharp knife.
- Separate each leaf, rinse them individually, and set aside.
- Arrange the leaves around the salad spinner and spin them until completely dry.
- Stack them into an air tight container. I have found that they store easily and turn red less quickly when stored uncut. Store in the refrigerator.
- Tear up the amount of leaves you need, when you are ready to make a salad.
September 9, 20160 found this helpful
Hearts of romaine lettuce are a favorite for salads. If they are cleaned and stored properly, they can last a long time. Learn how in this short video.