Alcohol Left White Spot on an Antique Dresser

I spilled rubbing alcohol on my dresser the other day. I tried rubbing with soap and water, but the white stain is still on my dresser. It's an antique dresser. What do I do to get that white stain off of my dresser? Thank you.

I'm not sure how you would remove it, maybe goo gone? But most stores actually sell these pens that come in a variety of stain colors (got mine at Walmart) you can use over the stain possibly. I have used it many times on dents or scratches on different pieces of furniture (coffee table, chairs, & dresser).

I will try to give you info re limited info you supplied. Was the dresser wood? If it was made before 1910 the protective coating would not have been lacquer but either varnish or shellac. Do not use soap and water.

Did the alcohol eat thru the protective coating? Are you seeing a spot where the finish was removed? Use a soft rag like a washcloth - dampen a corner and use a little dab of white toothpaste - not a gel and rub gently. This is one of the mildest abrasives you an use. Do a little at a time to see if it is working.

If the coating has been completely removed and the bare wood is showing you may need to refinish the top. Hope his helps.

I use furnished polish and blow dryer it I worked thank God

Thank u for this info. My son was doing a chemistry project and spilled rubbing alcohol all over my wood dining room table. I used the toothpaste and it worked well enough so u don't see the white spots. I am going to try this process again tomorrow.

Thank you so much! I thought I had damaged a coffee table beyond repair and your suggestion worked. Thank you again

Wow< I'm so glad someone knows all this stuff, I tried the toothpaste, and voila the two alcohol spots are gone from an antique dresser that I thought was ruined, I can't thank you enough!!!!!

My grandson spilt some hand sanitizer on our coffee table and we didn't discover it until we saw the white streaks and spots. I tried your suggestion as it seemed the least invasive and it worked like a charm. Used Aquafresh and it worked great, you can't tell anything ever happened.

I have a ring on my coffee table from rubbing alcohol how Can I fix this

Isopropyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol Stain on Wood Furniture
Home and Garden Repair FurnitureJune 25, 2009
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business
A bottle of rubbing alcohol.
Fixing Rubbing Alcohol Stains on Wood
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 2:12:15 PM on 10.0.0.30 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.