Prevent a Smelly Washer With Powdered Dishwasher Detergent

I have a great tip for making a smelly clothes washer smell fresh and clean, given to me by a Maytag repairman. Simply run dishwasher detergent powder, not liquid, through your machine with no clothing in it, about once or twice a month.

It works and it is cheaper than the specialized products that do the same thing. Use the same amount you would use of laundry detergent for your particular machine.

Source: Maytag repairman

By Diane H. from Louisville, TN

Your title says Prevent a Smelly Washer With Powdered LAUNDRY Detergent but then you say use DISHWASHER detergent powder. So which should we do?

<p><b>Editor's Note:</b> Either can be used but this tip is suggesting Dishwasher Detergent. We have fixed the title to be more clear.

What a great tip and it uses something that most of us always have on hand! Thanks for a winner! Trish

This is the best tip yet! Using dish washing detergent to clean the washing machine...who would have thought? Thanks, Anne Michelle

This tip is true. I hate to waste water so I run my scatter rugs when my washer needs this.

Switching to powdered HE detergent solved the odor problem in our LF front loader. Might have reduced the aount of detergent as well.

November 21, 2011 Flag

My high efficiency washer was serviced recently, and the tech gave me some tips to reduce the smell in my washer that I would like to share.

First, he suggested that I make sure that the drain pipe isn't resting on the bottom of the drain. It should make a gurgling sound when the washer drains. He attached the drain pipe to the water hose with a zip tie so that it will always be in the correct position. He said that if the drain pipe is resting on the bottom of the drain, the dirty water is sucked back into the washer.

Second, he suggested that I run the washer once a month with the hottest water and a tablet of dishwasher detergent. At the same time, run a small capful of dishwasher gel in the gasket to get out the gunk trapped there. I have done this once and it has made a difference already.

Source: Sears repair technician

By Barbara from Nazareth, PA

Also use powdered HE detergent not liquid. There is something about the liquid that over time causes the bad odor. Also leave the door open after the wash is complete until the next time you use the machine.

I just leave the door of my high efficiency washer stand open. That allows the water in the rubberized area near the door to dry out. I think the bad odor comes from sour standing water.

April 20, 2010 Flag

Is your washing machine smelly? Have you tried everything to get rid of the smell, yet it still hangs on? Try switching from liquid washing soap to powder laundry soap. Should sort it out in a couple of washes! I discovered when I switched to powder.

By Gooby from Straughn, IN

Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 20, 2010
Clumped Detergent
Softening Clumped Dishwasher Detergent
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher Detergent
Other Uses for Dishwasher Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
🎉
🎄