Rocky Road Bars

This recipe is my most favorite. If you take it anywhere for a dessert, make sure you grab a plate and put this on it first because it goes so fast and this is no joke. It is that wonderful and delicious. My husband went to get a piece for himself and it was only 15 minutes later and it was gone. I know you will love it. Give it a try at home first so you can at actually have some before you make it and take it somewhere. I have been trying all summer to send it in but summer is flying by so fast and there seems to be more work then ever to be done before winter. I need either more days in a week or more arms. Either way I think at the rate I am going, it will be done in about 3 years!

• 1/2 cup margarine or butter
  • 1 oz. (1 square) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup chopped nuts

• 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese reserving (2 oz for frosting)
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine softned
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup nuts
  • 1-6 oz. package or 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

• 2 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 oz ( 1 square) unsweetened chocolate chopped
  • Reseved 2 oz cream cheese
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Pre heat Oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13x9 inch pan or use cocoa instead of flour.

In large saucepan over low heat, melt 1/2 cup margarine and 1 oz chocolate, stirring constantly until smooth. You can use your microwave also. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add 1 cup and remaining base ingredients, mix well. Spread into prepared pan.

In a small bowl, combine all filling ingredients except 1/4 cup nuts and chocolate chips (last 2 ingredients in filling list). Beat 1 minute at medium speed until smooth and fluffy, stir in nuts. Spread over chocolate mixture, sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle marshmallows over top. Return to oven for 2 minutes.

In large saucepan over low heat, combine 1/4 cup margarine, milk, 1 oz unsweetened chocolate and reserved cream cheese; stir until well blended. Remove from heat, add powdered (confectioner) sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla; stir until smooth. Immediately pour frosting over marshmallows and lightly swirl with knife to give marble effect. Refrigerate until firm then cut into bars.

Good luck, I really hope you try this. It is a lot easier then it looks and is so good!

Source: Pillsbury Classic Cookbook

By Darlene from Fairview, PA

Wow, these are amazing. My family loved them. Thanks so much for the great recipe.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies BarsAugust 27, 2008
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Columbia Costume (Rocky Horror)
Rocky Road Brownie
Rocky Road Brownie Recipes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Photo of a lady yelling at a driver.
Avoiding Road Rage