Saving My Hibiscus For Next Year

Q: I have a Hibiscus which was given to me as a gift and bloomed beautifully all summer. Now the blooms are gone and it does well while it is outside but if I bring it in the house, all the leaves fall off and it looks awful. Is there anyway to save it so I can enjoy the blooms next summer? I know it only blooms in warm weather and shouldn't be left outside in the winter.

Debbie Warfield

A: Debbie,

To bring a hibiscus in for the winter, while causing it the least amount of stress, you need to try and acclimate it to its new conditions for a few weeks before moving it permanently for the season. You can do this by letting it spend 2-3 hours each day in the location you plan to keep it over winter. Gradually increase the amount of time it spends inside over a few weeks until you're keeping it inside longer than outside.

Tropical hibiscuses don't go dormant in winter. This means they will do better over-winter if they receive more light, moist soil and normal feedings (although give them only 1/2 strength food if you're keeping them in darker rooms).

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Cut it back and put it in a cool room with decent light and water it very sparsely. Next spring, put it outdoors and feed it and stand back!

Hi Debbie,

You don't say where you live, but if you are in a warm zone you might be able to keep it outdoors. This will help you to tell if your hibiscus is tropical or hardy.

Here's a couple of sites that should be helpful.

Here's a zip code zone finder in case you aren't sure of your zone.

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersOctober 26, 2004
Growing Hibiscus
Growing Hibiscus Plants
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom