I have a pair of bejewelled indian sandals that I really like and they got wet in the rain. So, I left them out to dry before putting them back in the shoe box, but it wasn't dry enough. So weeks later, opening the box, I have found green mold growing all over the soles of the shoes, as well as the insides and basically all over. Is there any tips I can use to get rid of it, or are there any commercial products/professional cleaning services as I really like this pair of shoes? I don't want to risk getting it on my feet so maybe I should throw them away?
I have used spray disifectant to kill mold on other items - You spray until wet and then put out in direct sun to dry - Do several times. It will kill the mold...There then is the problem of the black stains from the mold - Remove with peroxide?
I had a similar situation with several pairs of expensive shoes that were stored in a back bedroom which had a mold problem. I used a clean rag dipped in alcohol,let them dry thoroughly and was able to save every pair. Peroxide will also work very well, but may remove some of the dye. For either, try an inconspicuous spot first and let dry before treating the entire sandal.
I have never cleaned mold off of leather, but for other things, I use a chlorine bleach, like Chlorax or Javex. It may take the color out of the shoes, but it will kill the mold. I would also put them out in the sun to dry for several days after cleaning, as the sun will also inhibit mold growth. I don't think you have to worry about the mold growing on your feet.
My daughter's high school club collected shoes for south america and was told that all the shoes had to be washed in hot water and bleach. We had every kind of shoe there is and we thru them all in the washer with non-chorine bleach and washed. We let them air dry for a couple of days. I was amazed only one pair was a little damaged. I plan on using this method again.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!