Keeping Clasps on Dog Chains From Freezing

I have several inside dogs and a real problem in the winter is the hooks that are on their chains left outside freeze up and it makes it so hard to hook them out when they need to take a trip outside in the winter time. I sprayed with WD-40 but I don't know if this will help. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Donna
Below freezing in Pa.

salt on the chain and floor

I have had the same problem. Our dog chain/cable reaches to the door of the house so when it is likely to freeze up overnight I let the chain/cable trail just inside the door. This is a big help and I also don't have to wander outside to find the chain in the sub-freezing temps. This would work if your chain reaches to the garage or any space that is warmer than the outside.

Just to let everyone know, thath the WD-40 did work last night. This was my first that I thought about, since it works for so many things. Now to see how long it will last over the next few day. Give it a try, and a suggestion. Do a search for WD-40, there are 1,000 of things that you can use it for. Donna

I used to go out with a cup of hot water and pour it over the clasp.

How about walking them?

Jennifer

When people have things like work and school and don't have a fenced in backyard for their outdoor dogs to SAFELY play in, they use a chain. This doesn't mean that they don't walk them. It's just so their dog can be outside without the possibility of getting lost, being harmed, harming others, etc.

WD-40 does work well for this purpose, but you will probably have to repeat the application at some point. Also, you can pour rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) on the clasp and it will unfreeze it instantly. This is roughly the same ingredient in lock de-icer.

My twin sister used a very long nylon leash instead of a chain. Because it was flat, she could close the door with the clasp inside the house. this kept it from freezing, and she did not have to stand with the door open to fasten the dog onto the leash. Also, the dog came back into the house before she took the leash off which kept him from running off the minute he got unhooked!

You might try periodically rubbing with vaseline. I had a lock on my air conditioner and when I took it off to have a new unit installed the lock came right off.

You can use lock de-icer that you would buy to thaw the lock on your car door. This lock de-icer comes in a little metal tube (looks like binaca mouth stuff) and has a nozzle on it that you would put in the key hole on your car.Press the nozzle into the clip of the chain and press a bit of the fluid in and you are all set!

I just put rubbing alcohol in a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store. I keep it by the door and whenever the latch is frozen stuck, I spray it a couple times with the alcohol and it comes unstuck in seconds! I'd rather not spray WD-40 on the latch that I touch and touches my dog constantly and alcohol, although drying, doesn't irritate my hands or the dog! Good luck!