Freezing Apples

If you have a large crop of apples or have bought them in bulk, freezing them will allow you to use them later. This is a guide about freezing apples.

A pile of apple slices.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 14, 2008 Flag
apples on tree

Selecting High-Quality Apples:

If you're purchasing apples, fall offers the greatest selection. Choose ripe apples for freezing that feel firm and crisp in hand and have a bright color. Avoid apples that feel soft and mealy or have cuts or punctures in the skin.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash, peel, core and cut apples into quarters for freezing. Approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds of sliced quartered apples fills one pint, and approximately 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of slices or quarters fills 1 quart.

Preserving Fruit Color:

There are three ways to keep apple flesh from turning brown before and during freezing: (1) dip slices in a solution of 1/2 teaspoon of ascorbic acid to 3 tablespoons of cold water ( or use a commercial antioxidant), (2) soak them in a solution of 2 tablespoons of salt and 1 gallon of water, (3) steam-blanch them for 1 1/2 minutes and cool them in ice water before freezing.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Unsweetened Dry Pack: This is the simplest and fastest method for freezing apples, but it is not as good for retaining texture and flavor as the other methods. Treat apple slices with ascorbic acid or blanch to preserve color, pack them into a suitable container leaving 1/2 inch of headspace and freeze.

Sweetened Dry Pack: Place 1 1/4 pounds of quartered or sliced apples into a shallow bowl or pan. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of ascorbic acid in 3 tablespoons of cold water and sprinkle over the apples. Mix in 1/2 cup of sugar and pack apples in container, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace per pint and freeze.

Syrup Pack: The syrup pack method is useful if you plan to serve the apples uncooked (desserts or fruit cocktail), because it preserves a fruit's flavor and texture the best. Use a medium syrup (1/2 to 2/3 cup for each pint). Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil until the sugar is dissolved. Chill. Add 1/2 teaspoon of ascorbic acid to each quart of syrup. Pour 1/2 cup of syrup into the freezer container and add apples. If necessary, add more syrup until apples are covered and place a small piece of water-resistant paper on top to keep apples submerged. Leave 1/2 inch headspace for pints, 1 inch for quarts.

Containers & Packaging: Containers suitable for freezing should be airtight and include plastic bags, rigid plastic containers, heavy-duty aluminum foil, oven-ready casseroles sealed with freezer tape or glass containers.

Maximum Storage Time:

Apples in syrup packs or sweetened dry packs will keep 10-12 months when stored at 0F. Unsweetened dry packs should be used within 3-6 months.

Tips:

Some types of apples freeze better than others. In general, those that work well for making pies or sauce freeze well. Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and Winesap hold up well to freezing and resist bruising. McIntosh bruises easily and Red Delicious is the least desirable to freeze.

Shortcuts:

If you're freezing apples for pies, place sliced apples in a pie tin lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil or a freezer grade plastic wrap. Wrap the apples and place the pie tin shaped package into the freezer. When you're ready to bake your pie, simply remove the wrap, place the slab of apples directly into the pie crust, add sugar and spices and bake. The syrup used for syrup packs can be prepared a few days ahead of time and kept refrigerated.

Refrigerating Apples:

Sprinkle fresh apples with a little bit of water and place them in a perforated plastic bag in a cold part of the refrigerator. Apples give off an ethylene gas that can speed up ripening, so keep them away from other fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator. Store apples in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 months.
Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 19, 2011 Flag

Is there a substitute for abscorbic acid in freezing apples?

By Susan from San Diego, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Salt does not work, it does not inhibit the action you want with the apples. The salt will draw the moisture out of the fruit/veggies and result in freezer burned produce rather quickly. And you could not mask the sodium in the reuse of the apples.

You can use lemon juice or plain orange juice. They are high enough in acid. You can use some citric acid mixed with water. This is what powdered lemonade is made from. It can be found in natural foods sections of the grocery.

Any fruit juice with acid will work, it can be thinned down pretty thin and still work, the trick is to keep the apples submerssed for me if I am out of Fruit Fresh. I keep it on hand year round. We use in when we grind our horseradish in the fall also. We put up around 120 1/2 pint jars every year with friends. Nothing like the fresh horseradish.

I use a pan of water with white vinegar, a ratio of a couple of tabelspoons to a gallon of water (I don't actually measure, just a good 'glub' from the vinegar bottle) to slice my apples into and then when I get them all peeled I put them into my freezer bags and get all the air out. I keep them up to a year like this with no freezer burn and they do not turn brown.

I wouldn't use vinegar because it will change the taste of the apples. Use orange juice or lemon juice diluted with water. That's what restaaurants use when putting sliced apples or bananas on a buffet table.

Read More Answers...

May 8, 2005 Flag

There are a great deal on apples right now at the grocery store. I like to put apples in my smoothies. What is the best way to freeze applies to be used in smoothies?

Glenn

Best Answer

I freeze apples for pies and other desserts, but I put them in salted water for a short time, drain and then freeze in plastic bags. This keeps them from turning brown. You can buy axcorbic acid to prevent them from browning too. Use according to directions.

Best Answer

Lemon juice has ascorbic acid and is recommended everywhere for keeping apples from turning brown. But it will add a lemony flavor!

This time of year when apples are plentiful and in season, buy a box. Then cut them up and mix with your favorite apple pie recipe. Put all together in ZipLock bag and freeze. When you want a pie just dump the bag into a pie shell and bake!

- Michelle

Last Thanksgiving I made an apple pie and had way too many apples. So I put them in a freezer bag and tossed em in the freezer. I added nothing. They turned a lil brown but nothing to be concerned about. Then in January I used them to make a pie. I didn't know what to do cause they were frozen. So I nuked them just a lil to help them come apart added my spices, butter, a lil flour and put them in my pie shell. It turned out really good. yum yum. I think next time I freeze some apples I'll go ahead and add the spices, when I freeze them.

Read More Answers...

November 13, 2008 Flag

How long do I have to soak apples in salt/water solution before freezing?

Tammy from Foreston, MN

Best Answer

The salt water bath is just to stop them from turning dark. It is not necessary to soak for any length of time.

Best Answer

Can't picture using salt to keep apples from browning. I always use lemon juice and water and just coat them in the mixture, no soaking needed.

I never heard of soaking them. I just peel, core, slice and put in bags. They taste fresh when thawed and make great pies.

July 22, 2012 Flag

I have an apple tree with a ton of tart apples (Anna). I want to freeze them to be put in Greek yogurt or to add to plain oatmeal. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking about adding raisins, cinnamon, apples, juice, and cooking for a while (not until mushy) then cooling and freezing. Should I add any other ingredients?

By Carol from San Marcos

Best Answer

I freeze apples in one of two ways. Either peel and chop them up and pop them in a freezer bag raw, or secondly, cook them and fill bags with them when cooled.

NO, please don't add anything to the apples that you suggested you would like. It changes the PH and the acid levels to make it unsafe. You can get the ball book of canning or check their online for freezing ideas. Also, contact your local extension service for bulletins on this. You can also go online to your state extension service for free information.

When it comes to food prep, it is foolish to 'cheat' the recipes, when canning/freezing food. You pay for it in the end by becoming ill or by ending up throwing out the food.

Good luck.

July 8, 2012 Flag

What is the best way to freeze apples?

By Linda W L.

Best Answer

I like to prepare the apples by my recipe for apple pie and freeze it. When I get ready to make a pie, I make the crust, thaw the apples just enough to get them separated, add a few pats of butter and bake it. I have kept them in the freezer for a couple of years this way and it's good.

June 6, 2012 Flag

Can I bake apples and then freeze them?

By Drama A.

I would think that freezing baked apples would make them too watery, and you end up with, basically, applesauce.

February 14, 2012 Flag

How long can you soak apples?

By Clifford from NE

For what purpose would you "soak" apples? Can you provide a little more information that might help someone provide an answer?

September 25, 2011 Flag

How do I freeze apples?

By Martyn B

I found this in the ThriftyFun archives. Read the first answer given by Miss fun2no showing a bit below the question. It gives information for a few alternatives:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf58326455.tip.html

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesAugust 19, 2011
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Applesauce
Freezing Applesauce
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 9:04:48 AM on 10.0.0.204 in 365 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.