Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Try A & D Ointment As A Night Cream For Aging Skin

A wonderful night moisturizing cream, possibly in your medicine cabinet! I stumbled across a wonderful, cheap nightcream. A & D Ointment. It sounds crazy, but it has done wonders for my skin. (I am in the 50+ category) I had a procedure done on my eyes, and the doctor recommended using it to sooth the skin.

After a few days, I began to notice how smooth and soft the skin around my eyes was, so I started to use it all over my face. Redness disappeared, and so did small blemishes and dark spots, amazing, and I am a user of expensive cosmetics! Give it a try, it certainly can't hurt and it might save you lots on expensive night creams.

By Carol from Alexandria, VA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Janet Maurer M.06/23/2014

I have been using petrolium jelly and products with at least 40% zinc oxide on my face for about six months now and I am really starting to see amazing results. I am in my late forties and recently got complimented on how smooth and soft my facial skin looked! I was thrilled and told my friend what I had been using as a"night cream".

The skin around my eyes is much more soft and smooth and the wrinkles have really been reduced. Good luck to all who are thinking of giving this a try.

By Denise Ossman L.09/24/2013

I can see why this would work. Going to try it, expecially with winter coming. I am 50+ and have been having bad skin issues due to the big M. Sweating so bad in the summertime has my skin so raw on my face. So I tried using something to protect my skin and it works amazing!. Not only to protect and soothed my skin but, as a great makeup primer. (actually works better than a BB cream).

Try some Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. Goes on silky smooth, no harsh chemicals, not greasy and fragrance free. My daughter found this on the net and I was really shocked how well it worked.

By dzdz515007/30/2013

I've given a lot of thought too. but with all these positive reviews, I'm definitely using it on my face. I plan to comment on the results in a couple of months, thanks everybody.

10/15/2012

I did some research on line, because of an allergic reaction I believe from fish oil. I got an red rash under my eye.It cleared it up beautifully. In fact, I have been using it as a night cream for a few days. I usually use men's nivea products. I woke up and my skin looked so great! I now apply a&d under my eyes and face before I go to bed. What a difference! I had great skin prior, but love how this works! High recommend. I am a male almost 50!

By Ginnee04/01/2012

I love A&D too. I'm "of a certain age" and it is great on my face; whether to smooth crow's feet or to dab on a zit, to aid in faster healing.

Elbows, heels, scrapes, little "owies" all seem to benefit from A&D.

By Mom [1]08/28/2010

To summergirl! Hello! My aunt, age 90, suggests in addition to using lots of moisturizer and sunscreen, you smile a lot! That gets rid of the wrinkles around the mouth for a little while! She is a hoot! Smiling helps with those wrinkles between the eyes we get when we frown. So, let's all smile as much as possible. It is free!

By Mom [1]08/28/2010

I am going to giver this a try! Glad you mentioned it is colorless and not zinc oxide. Thank you for the suggestion I need help!

By Ginger [8]03/21/2010

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to minimize the appearance of lines that appear around lips as we age. I love wearing lipstick but even with lip liner, the lipstick tends to creep into the lines around my lips. THose of you who have tried the A&D Ointment, do you think that would help? Thanks to all for any successes you would like to share!

By lisa lovely05/12/2009

Thank you for that Barb in Tennessee. I appreciate the advice.

By Barbara Petty [13]05/11/2009

For those of you who do not live here in the USA,
A&D Ointment is not the same as zinc oxide ointment. It is a clear ointment, while zinc oxide is thick and white.

The ingredients in A&D Ointment are: Cod Liver Oil ( which contains the vitamin A and the vitamin D) light mineral oil,paraffin, fragrance,Lanolin 15.5% and microcystalline wax.It is a copyright of Shering-Plough Healthcare Products.
However, most drug stores, and even some grocery stores have it under their own label/brand. At CVS, and Walgreen Drug Stores, it is in the "Baby" aisle.
But at the grocery stores, it is where the bandaids, skin care and other ointments are stocked.

Hope this helps y'all.
We use it for a lot of things like chapped lips, cracked skin on your heels, and rough elbows too.

By lisa lovely05/10/2009

I'm in England. Would it be a generic Nappy Rash type cream? I have seen them advertised with Zinc Oxide in, would this be a good thing? I don't want to start putting the wrong thing all over my face. Thank you.

By christine M. Thayer [2]05/10/2009

A & D ointments main ingredient is vitamins A & D. A & D are very healing, just like desitin ointment, which sticks a whole lot better. I have used a & d on my hands, when they are really sore. Before bed, I rub in a lot of it & put on cotton gloves. It is amazing how it heals the skin... Something that is good for all sorts of skin issues, is taking A & D inside. You need to take more than the RDA, which is a joke, by the way. It is great for mucus membranes & skin, among others.

By Cricket [201]05/10/2009

ReneBrewer, not such a silly question. Anyone who hasn't had a baby (and some lucky ones who have) may not have heard of A & D. Check out my previous post here tho.

By Cricket [201]05/10/2009

Hi Furleg, In case you're wondering what A & D ointment is, it's made for babies' diaper rashes. Check out your stores tho, it's been around long enough and popular enough it's more than likely available world wide. It's medicated so I can believe that it may just work like these ladies said it does. I'm thnking of trying it!

By Vivienne Bahr [2]05/10/2009

I am wondering what this ointment is also, however I live in Australia so we probably dont have it here. I will watch this site to see if you get a response to your question. regards Vivienne

By Pam Winkle03/14/2009

I thought I was crazy. I just discovered this amazing trick. I had been using an expensive brand of mineral make-up, touted to be so good for your skin you can sleep in it. At 50, my skin was worse than it had ever been as a teenager. My face stayed red, irritated, and itchy, with constant breakouts of hard, sore knots especially in the t-zone. After some research online, I discovered I was not the only one who had this problem. Seems the bismuth in the make-up causes allergies for some people, apparently me.

Stopped using the make-up, started applying the zinc-oxide formula of A&D to help with the itching, and made the miraculous discovery of the secret for my sensitive skin! Within 3 days, remarkable improvement, and after several weeks, total recovery. I'll keep using it from now on! I was disappointed that I couldn't use the make-up because I loved the idea of the minerals, and the ease of application. After more research, I found a few brands of mineral make-up without the bismuth ingredient. My favorite is Physician's Formula, easy to find at regular stores (Walmart), reasonably priced especially compared to some brands found online. Hope this keeps someone else from going through the aggravation, and discomfort that I did.

By karen (Guest Post)03/24/2008

I stumbled across this very same thing - thought i was going crazy putting A&D onitment on my face and wow such results -- amazing - almost 50.

By Rene [1]01/20/2008

ok....I know this is probably a silly question.....but what is A & D ointment??? Thanks

By Stacy Emberson01/19/2008

I tried this last night, since my skin was chapped from our unusually cold weather, and it worked wonders! I would never have thought of using it on my face, so thank you for mentioning it.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.