Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Sometimes you may find that your refrigerator has begun to freeze the food inside. This guide contains troubleshooting tips if your refrigerator is freezing food.

December 8, 2016 Flag

The refrigerator portion of my side by side GE Profile is freezing. The temp is on 27, it will not stay on 37 when I reset it. It keeps going back to 23. What gives? It is freezing all the food in the fridge portion. The freezer section is fine.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure no vents in the refrigerator or freezer are being blocked. I had a similar problem once and this solved it.

we got it figured out. my repairman came out and it is the door that slides open according to the temp setting. needs to be replaced. $160 but have an acct with my electric company and will cost only $25. can live with that. thanks for the help. Merry Christmas to you all.\

Our refrigerator also has the same problem where everything in the refrigerator freezers but the freezer is just fine and when you try to set the digital temperature to 37 it keeps going back to 27 or 28 and it won't stay on 37

July 17, 2015 Flag

Why is my refrigerator freezing everything?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a GE reridgerator is frezzing everything inside

Everything freezing put it on 45f

My food is freezing in the referegerator

December 20, 2014 Flag

The food in the fridge is starting to freeze even though it's not in the freezer, what can I do?

By Mary from Toronto

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have that problem when I pack too much in my freezer, and don't have much in the refrigerator. Usually redistributing what is in the freezer (and throwing some out or eating it) fixes it. I think it has to do with how the air circulates. Also my bottom refrigerator shelf is the coldest. If I put lettuce there it always freezes. It does fine on the top shelf.

Check your freezer. There are some vents in the back usually on the top shelf. If they are covered then it will cause the fridge part to freeze.

Have you checked the controls in the refrigerator to make sure you have not accidentally turned it up so that it is colder? Before you call a repairperson, I would advise doing the simple things that others have suggested. See if the freezer is overloaded, check the vents to see if they are dusty and clogged, and check the dial that controls the temp.

June 19, 2014 Flag

If the lowest part of the refrigerator temp. is 41 degrees how can it freeze food?

By Charlie c

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is your question? Are you asking why food freezes in your frig when the temp says it is only 41? Or are you asking how it can freeze in the freezer section when the main part is only 41? It is impossible to answer your question at the moment. Please clarify.

After looking at the title, I think your question is that food is freezing, but the temp says only 41. Two things come to mind. One, that the thermometer is not working properly. Second, that there are sections of the frig that are colder than where the thermometer is. I have found that food jammed up near the top, where the freezer is located on older frigs, is often colder than near the bottom. Most are like that. If things are freezing all over, like your milk, for example, turn the thermostat up a slight bit. You can have them set too cold.

July 5, 2016 Flag

My LG fridge model # LRTN22320Bk is suddenly freezing my food in the fridge part. It was turned up only to 5 when this occurred. How can I fix this problem and how can I prevent this from happening again?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 28, 2015 Flag

My fridge won't stop running and it's freezing food.

By Jen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That doesn't sound good! Before you call the repair guy, google your fridge's brand name and see if they have an online troubleshooting forum.

May 18, 2010 Flag

My refrigerator is freezing everything, is there a way we can fix it ourselves?

By Denise from Fresno, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if this will help but try these steps. Unplug fridge and pull it away from wall. Empty it. Take out drawers. Start with the back and clear away all dust, especially crusty dust. Look for any little holes that might be air holes. Carefully probe with a crochet hook for dust clog. Check with flash lights if you can. Try to clean any obvious vents/air holes. Look in freezer. Clean it scrupulously, look for vent holes that might be clogged with ice. Let defrost. Look inside fridge for holes at back of drawers, along back walls, or little sliding hole covers. Make sure there's no gunk in holes. Use Qtips to clean out. Read instructions along wall of fridge for proper settings. Check dials and see if you can pull them off, and clean away any grime or sticky food residue..check seals on doors, and clean with qtips or cloth wrapped around chopstick.

Is the door really closing? If not, is it the seals, are they sticky? Are the shelves and drawers misaligned and keeping door from closing?

Take off front of fridge cover, down at the bottom. Look for drip tray. Wash, and inspect underneath with flashlight for clogged tubes, pipes, etc.

I think sometimes just a little tinkering helps. Or, maybe not, but you will have done all you can yourselves. Also google, repair your own refridgerator, and causes of refridgerator freezing. Air flow is very important, and those little vents and vent covers get clogged/closed/open easily.

I am not super vigilant about it, but in my old age, I have learned it pays to try to know your appliances and treat them with love and respect. They need maintenance, but most people completely ignore maintenance and throw away stuff at first problem.

Check your temperature control before trouble shooting for problems because it's most likely just set too high. It depends on each refrigerator, but I keep my current one set at "5 and if I set it at "6" then the food on the top rack freezes. I've had others that needed to be set at "4" or "6" so you'll need to experiment.

If these other posts don't help, then check out repairclinic.com as they have many solutions for repairing appliances yourself. I'm heading there now for my washing machine. Good Luck.

February 11, 2015 Flag

My fridge is freezing up, only in one side of the fridge. Could it be costing me more money on electric?

By Miss D Beaumont

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 19, 2015 Flag

I have a side by side Amana. There are two drawers on the bottom and if I put food in there it freezes. The rest of the refrigerator is fine temperature wise.

By AKK from Boston, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2015 Flag

What can I do with fruit, etc. frozen in my fridge?

By Elizabeth H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 12, 2014 Flag

It is no longer under warranty, 4yrs, and the business that sold it, is no longer. I live in a small town. I ordered the part and changed the damper. It was tricky, but not rocket science. Everything is back on, but it has gone back to the teens again. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I had taken all the steps prior to part ordering, in order to fix. Nothing. Now what?

By Joanne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 7, 2014 Flag

My side by side Amana freezes food on the bottom shelf only. Not in the drawers under it or the shelves above.

By L.M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 18, 2010 Flag

My refrigerator is freezing my food.

By Styron from NC

Answers:

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Personally, I would check your temperature control before trouble shooting for problems because it's most likely just set too high. It depends on each refrigerator, but I keep my current one set at "5 and if I set it at "6" then the food on the top rack freezes. I've had others that needed to be set at "4" or "6" so you'll need to experiment.

(11/06/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 3, 2009 Flag

We have a second fridge downstairs. It freezes everything I put in there unless it is a very hot, hot day. We have had it checked to see if it needed repairs and it does not. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It certainly defeats the purpose of having an extra fridge when I have to throw out frozen items.

Thank You.
Sharon

Answers:

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

If this fridge is the newer, non-freon type, then what you have is poor design. I have the same situation in the back on the top and bottom shelves of my Kitchenaid, purchased because ours broke when the freon fridges had just been banned.

If still under warranty, complain loudly to the store manager, the manufacturer, until it is replaced (could be something simple). A friend of mine bought a Kenmore fridge with every problem you could think of and Sears replaced it for free after 3 repair calls.

Otherwise, make the best of a bad purchase and be sure to separate the food so that there is plenty of air flow from the vents and turn the dial to a warmer setting. (08/30/2005)

By Holly

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Is the fridge in a garage? If it is not in an air conditioned area, it might be compensating for the hot air by over-cooling the food. (08/31/2005)

By elpasolady

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

If your fridge is freezing the food in the chilling compartment as well as the freezer, it means one thing--its thermostat isn't shutting down the compressor when the set temperature has been met. You stated that you had it checked by, I assume, a professional service technician. Being a retired tech myself, I'm surprised that he didn't check this out and discuss it with you.

Check the temperature in the freezer! If it is less than 10 degrees F., turn the thermostat to "warmer". If the temp in the freezer is 10 degrees F., leave it alone and go to the temp. control in the fridge, which is a damper that controls cold air flow from the freezer compartment. Close this damper until your temperature in the upper part of the refrigerator is 38 to 40 degrees F. If these efforts don't shut down the compressor and correct your problem, then the answer is simple. Your thermostat is bad and needs to be replaced. It isn't expensive, and should cost you less than the labor for a tech to install it. Good luck! (08/31/2005)

By Les

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

I think the first response sounds like the best solution. I have one that does the same thing so I'm planning on checking the thermostat! (02/22/2007)

By Tom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Appliances RefrigeratorAugust 15, 2012
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 10:15:46 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.