Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Sometimes you may find that your refrigerator has begun to freeze the food inside. This guide contains troubleshooting tips if your refrigerator is freezing food.

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Why is my refrigerator freezing everything?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The most likely reason is that you have the temperature control turned up too high. There is a dial in most fridges with numbers from 1 to 9, or similar. Mine is a dial in the front with dots going from cold to colder. Check this out and see where yours is set. Usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way around the dial is good. If this is not the problem, you could try calling a troubleshooting number. I see that my fridge has a sticker on the inside that gives a 1-800 to phone when there are problems. I would do that before I called in a repairperson. You might also consult your owner's manual, if you haven't misplaced it!! LOL

Read More Answers...

The food in the fridge is starting to freeze even though it's not in the freezer, what can I do?

By Mary from Toronto

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My fridge freezer was freezing food in the fridge compartment. My milk had turned into ice.

Thinking about the problem I noticed that the F/F wasn't turning off at all. It was continually on. I remembered that I had the same problem with my microwave and thought the same fix would work. It did.

Locate the circuit board/pcb with all the controls on. After you have unplugged your the appliance. On the PCB you will see various components. Some are capacitors (the round tube like ones) of various sizes. You are looking for the relatively large square or slightly oblong bits. You may well have only one on. You're looking for a relay. If you aren't sure that it is a relay, note the numbers on the top and google them until you've identified the correct one(s).

When you've located the relay get a teaspoon. Tap the relay on all 4 of the sides and on top. A few firm taps but less power than you would use on a boiled egg.

Put the F/F back together again and plug in. It may well solve your problem as it did with mine.

The relay is a switch and eventually the switch gets worn out by constant use (just like a light switch at home). It fuses on and that's why the machine is on continually. The teaspoon breaks the now permanent connection.

Order a new relay - an exact match for the one on the board - so that next time it goes (and it will) you can solder a new one back on.

If it does switch on and off then it's likely to be another problem, such as the thermistor sensor.

Read More Answers...

If the lowest part of the refrigerator temp. is 41 degrees how can it freeze food?

By Charlie c

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After looking at the title, I think your question is that food is freezing, but the temp says only 41. Two things come to mind. One, that the thermometer is not working properly. Second, that there are sections of the frig that are colder than where the thermometer is. I have found that food jammed up near the top, where the freezer is located on older frigs, is often colder than near the bottom. Most are like that. If things are freezing all over, like your milk, for example, turn the thermostat up a slight bit. You can have them set too cold.

Read More Answers...

My fridge won't stop running and it's freezing food.

By Jen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That doesn't sound good! Before you call the repair guy, google your fridge's brand name and see if they have an online troubleshooting forum.

My refrigerator is freezing everything, is there a way we can fix it ourselves?

By Denise from Fresno, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if this might help solve your problem or not but my fridge freezes things when the air flow vents become blocked with stored items. The air from the freezer circulates through the vents to cool your refrigerator. If I store an item in front of the vent it prevents the free flow of the cooled air thus freezing items in the refrigerator. Mine has the vents right at shelf height (poor design!!) so blocking them is easy to do without realizing it. I went to WalMart's kitchen storage area and bought a 3-pack of the white long narrow kitchen drawer organizers that have the holes in the sides, maybe a dollar or so for the 3-pack. I took one and turned it upside down in front of each of the vents to prevent a stored item from blocking the flow. Seems to help :) Good Luck!

Read More Answers...

My refrigerator is freezing my food.

By Styron from NC

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Personally, I would check your temperature control before trouble shooting for problems because it's most likely just set too high. It depends on each refrigerator, but I keep my current one set at "5 and if I set it at "6" then the food on the top rack freezes. I've had others that needed to be set at "4" or "6" so you'll need to experiment.

(11/06/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have a second fridge downstairs. It freezes everything I put in there unless it is a very hot, hot day. We have had it checked to see if it needed repairs and it does not. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It certainly defeats the purpose of having an extra fridge when I have to throw out frozen items.

Thank You.
    Sharon

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

If this fridge is the newer, non-freon type, then what you have is poor design. I have the same situation in the back on the top and bottom shelves of my Kitchenaid, purchased because ours broke when the freon fridges had just been banned.

If still under warranty, complain loudly to the store manager, the manufacturer, until it is replaced (could be something simple). A friend of mine bought a Kenmore fridge with every problem you could think of and Sears replaced it for free after 3 repair calls.

Otherwise, make the best of a bad purchase and be sure to separate the food so that there is plenty of air flow from the vents and turn the dial to a warmer setting. (08/30/2005)

By Holly

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Is the fridge in a garage? If it is not in an air conditioned area, it might be compensating for the hot air by over-cooling the food. (08/31/2005)

By elpasolady

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

If your fridge is freezing the food in the chilling compartment as well as the freezer, it means one thing--its thermostat isn't shutting down the compressor when the set temperature has been met. You stated that you had it checked by, I assume, a professional service technician. Being a retired tech myself, I'm surprised that he didn't check this out and discuss it with you.

Check the temperature in the freezer! If it is less than 10 degrees F., turn the thermostat to "warmer". If the temp in the freezer is 10 degrees F., leave it alone and go to the temp. control in the fridge, which is a damper that controls cold air flow from the freezer compartment. Close this damper until your temperature in the upper part of the refrigerator is 38 to 40 degrees F. If these efforts don't shut down the compressor and correct your problem, then the answer is simple. Your thermostat is bad and needs to be replaced. It isn't expensive, and should cost you less than the labor for a tech to install it. Good luck! (08/31/2005)

By Les

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

I think the first response sounds like the best solution. I have one that does the same thing so I'm planning on checking the thermostat! (02/22/2007)

By Tom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Repair Appliances RefrigeratorAugust 15, 2012
    Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
    Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
    Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
    Saving Money on a Refrigerator
    Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
    Freezing Baby Food
    View of the water line.
    Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 4, 2016 at 7:06:06 PM on 10.0.2.208 in 427 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.