Split Lip

I have had a split lip on the inside of my mouth for about 2 1/2 months. Does anyone have any safe ideas on how to heal this? Thanks for your help.

Sandy from Stoughton, WI

I have used warm salt water to gargle. May be time to see doctor for sore that is that persistant.

It may be a sign of a vitamin deficiency - are you getting enough B and C vitamins?

i work in a hospital, and that is a sign of a vitamin B deficiency. you could try to take a vitamin B complex supplement daily.

Try a natural product called Propolis Tincture - I read about it in natural health magazine and tried it to treat mouth ulcers. It has really helped me and my sister, who has the same trouble. You can order it at www.reallyrawhoney.com or find it in a health type store. It's worth a try.

I get mouth ulcers from time to time, due to chewing the inside of my mouth when I am upset or worried, drinking too much orange juice, and eating too many tomatoes. I place a little bit of peroxide on it several times a day. You can swish in your mouth like a mouth wash or you can use a q-tip to apply to just that area. With in a couple of days my mouth ulcer is gone.

I take a multi-vitamin daily, so I don't know about the vitamin deficiency. I do think I could try more orange juice. Will try the hydrogen peroxide and salt-water before I go buy the propolis. I wonder if honey would work--sounds yummy anyhow. Thanks!

A doctor told my sister to use an antibotic cream on it. It is a vitamin lack, and I believe it is B too. Any of the antibotic cream you get over the counter would work that you use for first aid.

I had this several times a few years ago. The thing that finally healed it was zinc oxide. Keep it on there though it looks funny, and in a couple of days, problem solved!

I get mouth ulcers and finally realized if I used Listerine twice a day for a couple of days (or its cheaper off brand copy), they would go away. I get them from using a toothpaste with too much sodium laurel sulfate (i.e. all the big names) and/or drinking orange/pineapple/grapefruit juices. Also chocolate and nuts at the same time do it for me too. Also helpful I think is taking regular acidophilus (or eating yogurt). My ulcers are soo painful they last for so long , so I know all about these meanies.

Salt water doesn't work for me. Those over the counter remedies, do sometime, the ones that put the layer over it. But sometimes they don't do the trick.

I have had a split lip since I got pregnant, and I am taking many vitamins, lots of water, etc. I have used every freakin' treatment, and it hasn't worked. I am carrying twins by the way, and am in my fifth month. Yes, for over 4 months. Grrr. I can't help you, sorry, but just wanted to tell you there are others out here with the same prob.

A friend (dental hygienest) reports it is a common fungal infection. Every recommendation to place antibiotics i.e. neosporin, will only exacerbate the problem- as it kills the helpful bacteria that fight the fungus. Treating the split lip with an antifungal cream or spray like you would use for jock itch or athletes foot will cure it in a few days.

I tried petroleum jelly, chap stick, Vaseline. I too had this split lip for over 2 months/ and it split more. I do take multivitamins everyday. help do I need stitches?

I'll tell you what finally worked for me. I put liquid bandage on it at night before bed--spread your lip out. Let Dry. Then I stuffed cotton balls between my lip and teeth. I slept this way. I did get some of the nasty taste, but it healed it. I don't remember how many nights I did this, but don't think it was any more than four nights. I believe I also tried a regular bandage over the liquid one, but that is hard to keep on.

I have the same problem and now mine is partly healed! What I did was tried no to open my mouth very big so it wouldn't crack it farther, and while eating cut up all my food and drank through a straw to keep it from ripping it farther too.

If you have any ideas on how to reduce an infection for this, please help.

I have the same trouble I split the inside of my lip about 5 years ago now licking an envelope for a xmas card and every year it splits open at autumn and winter time. i know, probably because of the cold weather but it bleeds and is so annoying! I think ill try some of these suggestions thanks! x

Camphor always works for me, get in health food or drug store, good luck.

The best thing you could do is forget about the chemist, and eat at least one passion fruit per day until it goes away. I have had this happen to me plenty of times and this is a guaranteed!

All of the previous answers simply treatments, not prevention. Just stay hydrated and use vaseline on your lips as needed and you will be fine. Lips are mostly water and dry out easily. If they dry out, yes, they can and will split open. Sometimes very deep. They need lots if water to stay so plump and kissable! Stay hydrated, it's the key!

Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 15, 2007
A girl putting on lip balm.
Cleaning Lip Balm Stains From Clothing
lip gloss puddle and applicator
Homemade Lip Gloss Recipes
Making Lip Balm
Making Lip Balm
Removing Lip Balm from Car Upholstery
Removing Lip Balm from Car Upholstery
🎄