Homemade Lip Gloss Recipes

Category Lips
Money can be saved on lip stain and gloss by mixing your own. This page contains homemade lip gloss recipes.

I need to go deeper in my life to be as frugal as possible. In that process, I will be trying to make or buy at the cheapest price. In my last post, I stated that my next project would be a homemade foot soak. That project has be put on hold until I can get all my materials that I need. In the meantime, I decided to make some lip gloss. Winter will soon be here and I will need all the protection I can get. Here is my take on lip gloss.

Price Breakdown:

• Equate Vaseline - $2.47 for 13 oz. They have another Equate Vaseline, but it is in the H&B aisle and cost 40 cents more.

• Praline and Cream Flavor - $1.49 for .125 oz. You don't need but a few drops. I found these flavors in front of my local pharmacy.

• Pill containers - $1.00 for 10 at the dollar store (You can use whatever container of your choice).

• Vitamin E Capsules - Price varies on sales and if you want to use coupons. I purchased my mine at CVS when they had their vitamin sale, BOGOF. I spent $3.00 for two bottles of 100 capsules.

I mixed 2 parts Vaseline (I used 6 tablespoons), 3 vitamin E capsule and 6 drops of the flavor (or desired taste). Mix well and fill your desired container. I was able to fill all ten containers, since they were small flat. You can use any flavor or container that you want. You make the ration according to your taste and needs. I plan to use other flavors.

So for about $7.00, I was able to make my own lip gloss. Most lip glosses sell for that amount. Since I only use small amounts, the only other expense will be trying other flavors, I will have lip gloss forever. I also use the Vitamin E on face at night as well as the leftover Vaseline on my feet. Nothing goes to waste. Next on the agenda. Body wash.

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Georgetta's first essay.

This is a make up tip. You can purchase a little plastic container in the sample/travel section of your favorite grocery or drug store (cost about 99 cents) and then put the last bit of your lipstick in it with some Vaseline. Scoop out the last bit of lipstick from the tube and mix it with the Vaseline in the plastic container and boom! You have lip gloss in a favorite shade.

By kimchee from Scottsdale, AZ

To make chocolate gloss, use equal parts of shortening and Vaseline. Melt in your microwave using only short increments of time as not to overheat. Heat only until melted. You can also do this in a double boiler. Then stir in cocoa powder to taste. Put in clean used lip gloss containers. You can also make berry gloss. Use the same recipe, omit the cocoa powder and add strawberry, raspberry, or blueberry drink crystals instead!

By coville123

My daughter is 5 years old and loves all of the sparkly and colorful lip glosses that come in cute cases with her favorite characters on them. The problem is that these glosses are terrible for her lips! They are very low quality and drying to her lips.

Mix all ingredients together and heat in the microwave until it begins to boil (usually 1-2 minutes). Stir well, mash the berries, and let stand 5 minutes. Strain the mixture to remove pieces of cranberry.

If you melt a chunk of lipstick (or two) and petroleum jelly you can make a really nice lip gloss that moisturizes your lips. Mallory D

This is a fun project for little girls to make.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How do you make lip gloss out of Koolaid?

A quick search of the Internet found these recipes and instructions.

From Creative Kids at Home

http://www.crea  activity_40.html

How to make Lip Gloss

Vegetable shortening, honey, unsweetened drink mix (eg. Kool-Aid), hot water

Use a small bowl to mix 1 tablespoon of the solid vegetable shortening and 1 teaspoon of honey. In a separate bowl, mix the drink mix and 1/4 teaspoon of hot water until it is dissolved. Stir in as much of the drink mix as possible. The actual amount will depend on the temperature of water. The more you can dissolve, the stronger the flavour will be.

You can choose the color and flavor of you lip gloss by the type of drink mix you use.

Add one drop of the water mixture to the shortening/honey base. Stir well. Repeat until you get the color/flavor combination you want. Pour into a clean container or old lip gloss pot.

Store in the refrigerator. Keeps for 3 days, but it tastes so good that you will use it up very fast!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2 Tablespoons solid shortening (Crisco)
1 Tablespoon Kool-Aid drink mix (dry kind with sugar)

Mix the solid shortening together with the drink mix, microwave until mixture is melted, pour into a small container, and set in the regrigerator for 30-40 minutes.

Congratulation you have just made shiny lip gloss for just pennies on the dollar.

Hope this helps!

This recipe isn't made with Koolaid but sounded good:

Chocolate Lip Gloss

1 1/2 tsp cocoa butter
1/2 tsp. Coconut butter
1/8 tsp. Vitamin E oil
3 small chocolate chips

Use double boiler or microwave. Heat the cocoa butter, coconut butter, & Vitamin E oil until melted. Stir in the chocolate chips. Stir until chips are melted and mixture well blended. Pour Mixture into a small decorative pot or holder. Cool 10 to 15 minutes Not to eat.

By Cathy Goodman (Guest Post)

I have used this recipe to make tinted and/or flavored lip balms/glosses. You can vary the ratios to your own preference.

1 teaspoon beeswax/parafin wax
1 teaspoon petroleum jelly
A few drops candy flavoring, presweetened kool-aid mix, or mint flavoring.

Heat each separately over the stove (med/low heat),
Combine wax and petroleum jelly, blend well, remove from heat and add flavor/coloring.
I also add a drop or 2 from a vitamin E capsule at a time.
After it cools check it for the right consistency. If it's too hard remelt and add more Pet. Jelly. Too runny, add more wax.
Do you have a lipstick that you can't use because it is too dark. You can add a few slivers of that lipstick to the hot mixture. This gives the lipbalm a soft tint.

I usually quadruple this recipe to make it worth the time.

The tiny gourmet jelly jars that come in gift baskets are great containers, so are the really tiny "Altoid tins"

Use care if doing this with kids - Petroleum jelly is flammable

By Nikki (Guest Post)

<font face="comic sans ms"><font color=magenta>OMG! It worked so well. You rock! It's like awesome. And I had all the supplies. Other sites said I need beeswax, coco butter and other stuff. I thought it was called Homemade Lip Gloss. Not go out and buy everything Lip Gloss. Anyway, thanks soooooo much, my friend loved the set of lip glosses I gave her for her birthday. </font></font>

By Lauren (Guest Post)

hiya! Another way to make ligloss is to recycle old lipsticks by mixing in with pet. jelly

By jeannie (Guest Post)

u take vaseline and then u take a colored lipstick or eyeshadow and put it in there.
i know a specific recipe.

u put the vaseline in a bowl.
then u put put the colored eyeshadow or lipstick in.
then u squeeze sum strawberry juice out and mix it. then use it! bye

By Megan (Guest Post)

Hey I am starting this club with my friend and I need ideas for stuff to sell~ any ideas?- thx megan

By Sammi (Guest Post)

Don't use the crisco shortening--it turns out very grainy. Try something like melting old lipstick, adding vitamin E, and add flavoring.

By Alyssa (Guest Post)

This recipe was so nice!! My friends loved the lipgloss I made. Good job people! Emily says hi!

I am making my own lip gloss. Some of the recipes on this site include honey as an ingredient. I'm allergic to honey so is there a substitute I can use? Or do I need it at all? Thanks.

By Brittany H from Pittsburgh, PA

Does anybody remember a recipe for lip stain made from Jello?

I read about it in a magazine somewhere and can't find the recipe.

I even emailed the Jello website, but haven't heard back from them.

smoochie from Houston, TX

By (Guest Post)

Yes. I saw that tip too. All you do is dip your finger in the jello & apply it to your lips & they will stain - it said cherry for red lips & watermelon for pink - I haven't tried it, but I thought it sounded interesting too.

I've seen that recipe before, too! I'm pretty sure that you melt vaseline and add the jello powder to get right color/consistency. You can store it in little pill dispensers or paint pots.

Hello I read something just this month. They said the models use a lightly dampened q tip with water into not jello but kool aid. Strawberry was the most used. They said it strains the lips for an all day event without losing any color.

By (Guest Post)

This tip was in a recent "first" magazine. Wet the end of a q-tip with water and dip lightly in jello and apply to lips(the magazine stated strawberry-but I am sure you could use cherry for darker stain, peach for lighter stain, ect.). I use this and apply a light gloss.

I tried it, and was pretty disappointed. I got a little better result when I mixed enough water in with the jello to make a paste, but it barely changed the color at all. I even got the black cherry kind (which is dark!) to try it with. Maybe koolaid works better?

Try gel food color in a small plastic bottle from a candy-making or baking area of a cooking store. (I have found that Jello and KoolAid lip stains were too acidic for my skin.) There are many colors (light pink to maroon) to choose from, the color lasts a long time, and the bottles snap shut tightly. To apply wet your lips and dip a Qtip into the bottle.

Does anyone have a recipe for a lip STAIN? Thank you!

How do you make semi permanent lip stain?

By chris from Cumming, GA

Is food coloring a good thing to use when trying to color lip gloss or should I use Kool-aid packets?

By luelue

I like lip gloss from a certain store, but recently the prices there are huge, and the items are small. I thought it might be fun to try and make my own. Any recipes? I really appreciate it thanks.

By Cara from Farefield

Homemade Lip Gloss

There are good lip glosses in drugstores that are reasonably priced so try some.

I used to make my own lip gloss/balm using either beeswax or paraffin. Melt a small amount in a glass jar set into a pot of simmering water. Add a piece of old lipstick to give color, also add a little oil. I used baby oil since it had a nice scent. Mix with a wooden chopstick or some such disposable item. To check the consistency, put a few drops onto a plate and see how it hardens. If it's too soft, add more wax. If it's too hard, add oil. Pour finished balm into small jars.

By OliveOyl

Homemade Lip Gloss

Re-use your empty tubes or empty gloss/balm pots.

Makes 3 tubes.

• 2 tsp. beeswax (chop or grate it, then measure)
  • 2 1/4 tsp. jojoba or coconut oil
Melt wax and oil together double boiler style. Stir to combine. Pour into your containers. Let cool for about 20 minutes.

(If you want it glossier look just add a teeny tiny bit more jojoba or coconut oil.)

For fun, add three or four chocolate chips while melting for a yummy flavoring.

By Ann

Homemade Lip Gloss

Please. Check out the ingredients that are in lip glosses you are using. And paying a higher price does not guarantee better ingredients. Almost every commercial lip gloss contains alcohol. The kind that dries out your lips. Some also contain harmful preservatives. I make all natural lip gloss and other bath and body products and have spent thousands of hours in research and I am just trying to help people use the safest products possible.

You should not use Vaseline or any other petroleum oil or jelly. They are made from petroleum. The same thing gasoline is made from. And products made from petroleum are known carcinogens. The recipe from Deeli has the best ingredients in this list and one in the archives calls for shea butter, another good ingredient.

Crisco will not taste the best unless enough of the Kool Aid is used to cover it. Adult lipstick should not be put into lip gloss for kids because it contains many ingredients, such as coal tar, that should never be used by children or teens. Adults can decide to use this carcinogen if they want to, but youngsters do not have the experience to make such a judgment call.

Use a recipe with beeswax or carnauba wax (not the car wax, but the natural product from the plant), almond oil, castor oil or jojoba. Coconut oil is good for a secondary oil, but can be slightly drying if used as the only oil. Cocoa butter can also be used for a little more body for the lip gloss.

Hope this helps. (08/10/2009)

By Paula

Homemade Lip Gloss

Oh, goody I can't wait to share this recipe. Just put desired amount of petroleum jelly (Vaseline), and a smaller amount of honey in a small bowl, put in microwave for 30 seconds, take out, check, repeat until liquid, than let it sit out for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy. I have never tried a better more moisturizing lip gloss/balm ever. (11/30/2009)

By Lena

I would like to know how to make lip gloss?

By Tamlyn Martin from LaMarque, TX

Homemade Lip Gloss

I like mixing Crisco solid with honey and putting it in a container that used to have Blistex in it, those round little pots. It is so good and it is good for you. Crisco solid is the best for dry skin too. Great for babies bottoms. Robyn (12/05/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Homemade Lip Gloss

I am not so sure it's safe to use Crisco mixed with anything unless you're going to use it up in a very, very, very short period of time. Crisco, even uncooked, goes rancid in a super short period of time after originally unsealing the container. Mixing it with other foods to use on your mouth, which most certainly will be ingested, is not a safe idea to me :-(

There are lots of safe, long term alternatives in the archived links below. (12/05/2009)

By Ann

Homemade Lip Gloss

Go to and type in lip gloss there are 8 recipes there. (12/08/2009)

Homemade Lip Gloss

Try on creative juice they took just a little bit of leftover lipstick and mixed it with some petroleum jelly to make a tinted lip balm. (12/08/2009)

By christi

Homemade Lip Gloss

Years ago, I asked my daughter what shade of lipstick she used and learned she hadn't used any for years--just Vaseline. So I tried it and within 2-4 weeks, my lips had very good color without lipstick, and no more cracking in winter. It's been more than 20 years and it's still working just great. I put it on at bedtime and once in the morning. I keep a tiny metal container in my purse. Really cheap! (12/08/2009)

By shoe

Homemade Lip Gloss

My science class once took some crayons, mineral oil, a little wax from a new toilet ring, and some flavoring you'd find in the grocery and made lip gloss. (12/30/2009)

By Emily

How do you make homemade lip gloss?

A good frugal gift idea is to mix three tablespoons all vegetable shortening and a package of Kool-Aid and microwave for one minute.

Mix solid shortening with drink mix, place in microwave until mixture is melted.

Make Your Own Lip Gloss. You can make your own lip gloss for a fraction of what you would normally spend on make up. Take some Vaseline and mix in the right amount of food coloring. . .

When your lipstick is running low, transfer it to a small container and add vaseline to it. You then have instant lipgloss which also acts as a lubricant for lips.