Knitting Needle Alternative: Chubby Pencils

I got psyched by the suggestion of using chop sticks as knitting needles and used the round Korean ones with the pointed tips, but the resulting gauge was really too small to make a narrow scarf out of the ball of bargain fun fur I had picked up. ($1!) I looked at needles in the craft store, but $6-7 for wooden sticks? That's all they are really. I was racking my brain to think of another alternative and then it struck me, chubby pencils! I bought 4 for $1.99 and put clear tape on the sharpened end to make them slippery and VOILA!

A pair of "knitting needles" quite adequate for my knitting experiment at $.50 a pair, not $5.00 plus. These might be good for kids, too. Although knitting snobs may have heart attacks.

By Pamphyila

A knitting instructor at A.C. Moore told me to make my own knitting needles by purchasing small wooden dowels and sharpening them with a pencil sharpener. Haven't tried it, but as long as you have a gauge to determine the equivalent size, it should work. Good luck. raneydaze

Wonderful needles can be found at thrift stores.

I lost one of my needles for making socks. I used a sanded down skewer to replace it. I trimmed it down to the correct size and used an emory board to sand both edges to a smooth points. It worked so well that I made a whole set so that I can work on two sets of socks at the same time without having to buy a new set of needles.

Knitting Tips
Knitting Tips and Tricks
Crafts KnittingJune 11, 2008
Colored Pencils
Organizing Colored Pencils
Sewing Needle
Making a Homemade Sewing Needle Sharpener
Adjustable Sock Loom
Using a Knitting Board Adjustable Sock Loom
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
🎉
🎄