Add Heavy Thread to Your Yarn

You can add color and texture to your knitting by adding heavy thread or embroidery floss to your yarn and then just knitting regularly. It also helps keep lacy projects made on large needles keep their shape, as it won't stretch as much.

When I saw ecru embroidery floss for several skeins at $1, I snapped it up to use with my knitting. I have also found (in thrift shops) industrial spools of tweedy thread with blobs of color which adds a tweedy effect to plain colored yarn.

By pam munro from L.A., CA

Great tip. I have been incorporating thread into some items like a little phone pouch for years. I also mix yarn and fabric strips when I make hot pads and rugs.

I not only get the right tension but sometimes do an alternating color for a unique affect.

Wow! Where have I been all these years... :) I have never heard of incorporating thread into yarn to make yarn stronger, and of course it makes perfect sense... My mom skipped that chapter in teaching me to crochet and knit. I have been crocheting for dinosaur years now.... :). I'm never too old to learn. Thank you for the newest chapter to learn today.

Jackie :)