Knitting Tips and Tricks

Category Knitting
Even experienced knitters can appreciate a new technique or tool to use in their craft. This is a guide about knitting tips and tricks.

You can add color and texture to your knitting by adding heavy thread or embroidery floss to your yarn and then just knitting regularly. It also helps keep lacy projects made on large needles keep their shape, as it won't stretch as much.

When I saw ecru embroidery floss for several skeins at $1, I snapped it up to use with my knitting. I have also found (in thrift shops) industrial spools of tweedy thread with blobs of color which adds a tweedy effect to plain colored yarn.

By Pamphyila from L.A., CA

I got psyched by the suggestion of using chop sticks as knitting needles and used the round Korean ones with the pointed tips, but the resulting gauge was really too small to make a narrow scarf out of the ball of bargain fun fur I had picked up. ($1!) I looked at needles in the craft store, but $6-7 for wooden sticks? That's all they are really. I was racking my brain to think of another alternative and then it struck me, chubby pencils! I bought 4 for $1.99 and put clear tape on the sharpened end to make them slippery and VOILA!

A pair of "knitting needles" quite adequate for my knitting experiment at $.50 a pair, not $5.00 plus. These might be good for kids, too. Although knitting snobs may have heart attacks.

By Pamphyila

You can rethink your knitting project and save it, rather than pulling it all out. I made what I thought was the "back" of a long vest and it turned out entirely too "wide", a big rectangle, in fact. So I re-purposed it, sewed around the top for a neck hole and made a poncho out of it!

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

A while back, a woman asked about how to knit or crochet. Here is what you do:

You make a loop with your yarn and place it on your knitting needle, that will be your lead needle. If your start with your right, it will be your right lead. If you're a lefty, it's your left lead. Then you just start making loops by pulling through that first loop by using the second knitting to help the loop come through. After that, you would slide loops off the needle as you are pulling through the loop you are sliding off with the knitting needle. The loops that are going though loops that are sliding off will be on the second needle that, in turn, will also become the lead needle when it get through with the number of knitting stitches you want. As for crochet, it's just pulling loops with one crochet needle and turning the yarn around and pulling loop through the crocheted loops, that's all.

One simple thing to remember. You are using two hands to knit with knitting needles and you are using one for crochet. There are a lot of sites too that you can find on the internet for certain pattern stitches and stuff for both. Also there is a new way to knit with looms too and all that is wrapping around the stick or fork, stubs if you want to call them, with yarn and after wrapping twice for the start of it where you can pull one loop over another.

I hope others that want to learn can get this. If it's not clear enough, let me know.

Source: Based on learning from a lot of sites and people that I met online and in person through my life.

By Pam G. from AL

It's spring and scarf season is over - so if you are a knitter - switch over to rectangular shawls. It's the same only a bit longer and wider! And you can use up leftover yarn by using a different yarn per each row or so.

By pamphyila from LA, CA

Take an old fashioned writing pen, remove the tip, ink cartridge, and end cap. Thread yarn through the now empty tube. Use this to keep the yarn together when loom knitting and as a handle to wrap the yarn onto your loom. This idea is also nice when you crochet, knit, or weave on a mini frame loom.

By ironduck2003 from Cortez, CO

One way to vary the knitting on all of your shawl projects is to practice using different knitting combinations of purl and knit to make patterns. (A knitting book will show you how).

I was working on a knitting project recently, and the pattern called for stitch markers. I could not locate mine, but my husband came to my rescue. He was doing a plumbing job on the kitchen faucet, and was replacing an "O" ring.

When knitting or crocheting a pattern that has different instructions for each row I copied the pattern and cut out each row and put 1 row on a 3X5 blank index card and put it into the binder that comes with index cards. (I bought mine at Wal-Mart)...

In a pinch, you can use chopsticks as knitting needles. Just sharpen the tips of the chopsticks in a pencil sharpener then dull them a little so they aren't too sharp.

This craft tip is for storing knitting or crochet needles. Using fish aquarium tubing, which is very inexpensive and comes in various diameters, I cut just about an inch or so, pushing it down a bit (so they don't slide off) but yet long enough to cover the tips of the needles.

Take an empty Pringles can and cover it with pretty paper, fabric or paint. In the plastic lid cut small X's to insert your knitting needles. This will keep them all in one place and fits nicely on a table.

What is the best "glue" to use to secure yarn ends when crocheting and/or knitting? Thanks for your response.

By applesauce from Alexandria, VA

Answers

You don't "glue the ends - just use a tapestry needly and "weave in" the ends. A google search will get you more specific info.

dj_pinkey was correct that you don't glue the yarn ends when crocheting or knitting.

However, if you are having problems with the ends unraveling while you are working on your project, the end of the yarn can be seared with a match or cigarette lighter. Most yarns are man-made fibers and they will melt. Be very careful the first time you try a yarn in case it is flammable.

Okay, I never have glued the end of yarn, even though I weave in the ends of the yarn, sometimes it still needs an extra 'something', but thanks anyway for your hints and advice.

Have a look here:
How to crochet lesson 5 Taking care of the tails
http://www.yout  ch?v=aoPpjT_vxiE

Are you talking about the ends you have when you have to add or switch yarn? I never liked having the loose ends just woven in, taking the chance of it coming unravelled & ruining my hard work. I tie my ends together in a square knot & then I weave the loose ends in & out of the other stitches using a smaller crochet hook.

Hey everyone thanks for all the hints. After watching the video on "ends" I guess I've been doing them almost correctly all the time.

Anonymous

I've done that for years

Anonymous

I use a drop of clear nail polish on ends and then squeeze the end together with the part of the yarn where you want it placed. Used it for years on cross stitch, Swedish embroidery, knitting and crocheting. Give it a try and see how you like it.

That sounds really feasible and will try it! Also, the "Russian Join" works pretty good. There are quite a few utube on it!

I use Aleene's Fabric Fusion. All it takes is a tiny bit, can even be applied with the tip of the finger, just to ensure an end. I suspect you could also use Super Glue, lightly.

There is a web site that is for knitters' questions/solutions. Would anyone know it?

Answers

Ravelry.com is a great site. It has what you are looking for plus patterns.

My daughter knits  but I do not so this is her answer.

There are many web sites for questions  some better than others of course.

Here are some I use from time to time: The first listing also advertises a book Knitting for Dummies (available at most public libraries) but there is also a question & answer forum.

http://www.dumm  crafts/knitting/

http://forum.kn  how-to-questions

https://www.fac  233228063431835/

http://www.craf  m/questions.html

Where can I find knitting abbreviations?

By Laverne

Answers

The Craft Yarn Council provides the bible of knitting abbreviations:
http://www.craf  il.com/knit.html

I have always wanted to learn to knit. I don't have knitting needles and can't find them anywhere. Walmart has some, but they are extremely long, or thick. They tell me they are not good for beginners and I agree.

If someone can find me some cheap knitting needles, I would appreciate it, or tell me how to make some, please. Thank you.

By Jamish

Answers

Have you looked in the toy section for child craft sets? Those knitting kits feature short needles, very simple instructions, and a few other supplies to get a young person going in knitting-usually the needles, some yarn, and counters or gauge rulers.

Also, you could try using chop sticks as you learn. Good luck, I wish you great success learning to knit! I've tried to learn several times but I've been crocheting so long now that I look for the hook, lol, and can never seem to get past casting on.

I would like to make clothes for the children of friends, many of whom I very rarely see. The knitting patterns give chest sizes, but I don't know what age they relate to. I want to make the clothes as surprises and would be quite pleased to make them a size larger than the child/person would need at present. Any help would be very much appreciated.

By Aunty E. from north of England

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Last summer a group of women recycled wool and other materials to knit covers for poles which had been used in the past for drying fishing nets.

By Isobel from Scotland

Net drying posts with knitted covers.

Comment Like this photo? 9