Paint Color Ideas for Exterior Door

I have a house in the country with a new front door. However, the color is difficult to choose. The new door is a sandy-beige and needs to be stained on the outside. We have a red roof with red brick that has semi-noticeable navy blue blotches. Our shutters will be painted a navy blue, but what color should our door be? A wood brown, navy blue, or what? The trim around the door is most likely going to be white. Your opinions are appreciated.

By KayD from Boston, MA

The color you choose all depends on whether you want the door to stand out such as a yellow or blend in then you could go with navy or brown or perhaps a shade deeper or lighter of either color. We live in the city and our home was built in 1910 when we painted two years ago we learned houses of this period were originally painted vibrant colors. Our house is a deep teal with terra cotta trim and vibrant sunflower yellow doors!

You know, I was thinking yellow as well in whatever shade would look best.

It would be a primary color scheme and look very nice.

What you could do is buy a small sample of the color you are thinking of and paint a piece of poster board. Then tape it up on your door so you can see it from the road and in different lights for a while to see if you like it.

Enjoy and hope your new door says welcome!

My vote is for a shade of red that would go with the roof and brickwork. Red is the color that many Real Estate decorators want to use when selling houses. Happy Painting. GG Vi

I think your door should match your shutters; or at least royal blue. You need a strong colour.

The Amish has a unique idea for painting front doors. If there is a daughter or granddaughter in the home,they paint their front door blue as a statement saying they have daughters available for marriage. My parents painted the front door on our new house, light blue. It must have worked as all three of us, two girls and a boy all got married the first year we moved in the house. The bad news is they no longer needed the big home they built, for a few years. At least not until the grandbabies started coming along. Just a thought if you want to paint your door with meaning.

Red! This is color always says the household is warm and inviting. I love to see a house with a red door. If you absolutely can't do that, then a shade of blue to coordinate with the shutters, but I still say red!

Our front door is Rubber Ducky yellow and we love it. If you don't want to use yellow, I would go with blue to match your shutters. Red would be my third choice. The post about buying small amount to paint a poster board and check it out first is a very good tip. You could get several paint swatches from the store, tape them together to give you a little bigger sample to be sure you like the color and shade before to painting the door. A decorator once told me I should paint the inside of the front door the same color as the outside. Of course, you would only do this if it coordinated with your interior. A colorful door puts me in a happy mood.

June 30, 2011 Flag

Our house in brown trimmed with terra cotta mix used brick. It has a shake roof. What color should the solid front door be for accent?

By Joyce W.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pick up some paint chips in different colors and see what you like. All the colors that you mentioned are neutral colors so therefore, any color door would work.

Go to the HGTV website and look at the front door paint colors they show. You will be inspired! It's my new favorite website, after thriftyfun of course!

The brick on our house sounds a lot like yours. We recently had white vinyl siding installed on all the wood areas. I don't know the official name of the paint on the front door but the best I can describe it is: Barn Red. It's a very deep (almost maroon) red. That's the color I wanted because I heard or read (long ago) that a red door was a sign of "welcome". We think it looks really good and have had lots of compliments. I'm sure that whatever you choose will be lovely.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Red Exterior Door
Paint Color Ideas for Exterior Door
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJune 21, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
bottle of super glue
Removing Super Glue from a Car's Exterior
🎄