Date and Ginger Cake

This recipe has gone through many changes. I have changed the flour to Gluten/Wheat free as I have allergies. I have also omitted the eggs, sugar and butter to make it low fat and added more dates to make it moist. All my friends love the cake and are always asking for the recipe so I decided to share it with my thrifty friends. You can use normal flour if you like.

• 500 grams of dates (about 1 lb.)
  • 60 grams of fine diced ginger (2 oz.)
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 2 to 4 metric teaspoons of powdered ginger
  • 1 metric teaspoon of bi-carb soda (baking soda)
  • 1 cup (125 grams) gluten free/wheat free self rising flour

Directions:

Put dates, ginger and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add bi carb soda. Stir quickly and take off stove. Wait 1/2 hour till cool then add flour. Stir gently with wooden spoon till mixture is combined. Put in a loaf tin lined with bake paper (parchment). Bake in moderate (180 degrees C - 355 degrees F) oven for 45 minutes. Let cool, then slice and spread with butter if you like.

Tips: Do not boil ingredients more than 30 seconds, as too much liquid will evaporate. If a strong ginger taste is wanted add 4 teaspoons of ginger. If mixture seems too dry or you like a moister cake add another 1/4 cup water after mixing in flour.

By Flossytop from Australia

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesDecember 14, 2005
Ginger
Freezing Ginger
Ginger Tea Recipes
Ginger Tea Recipes
Making Ginger Beer
Making Ginger Beer
A finger with a pink bow tied on it.
Save-The-Date Ideas
🎄