Are Raw Egg Whites Safe?

What are your thoughts out there about the safety--threat of salmonella, etc.--using raw egg whites in a recipe? I've got a recipe for buttercream frosting and one for decorator's icing that I've made for years, both use raw egg whites that don't get cooked. I haven't had any trouble but wonder if I've just been lucky and should start using one of the meringue powder egg-white substitutes such as "Just Whites"?

Lynn from Chico, CA

According to, ORGANIC free-range eggs are VERY seldom plagued with Salmonella, as non-organic caged chickens can be, and if YOUR hands are washed very well before handling the Organic eggs, all should be well. I use organic eggwhite powder as often as I can afford it, but it gets old and bad tasting if not used in about a month. Dr. Mercola recommends developing an ORGANIC /RAW egg consumption habit, because it is the best way to get the proper nutrients from the egg. He discussed the Salmonella as never being in Organic free-range eggs, I believe, or, at least, RARELY, compared to "caged, commercially treated" eggs. God bless you. : )

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyDecember 23, 2006
Beating Egg Whites
Tips for Beating Egg Whites
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
Raw Egg
Cleaning Raw Egg Off Carpet
Separating Egg Yolk From Whites
Separating Egg Whites