Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cooking with Almond Milk

I have been given about 10 containers of almond milk. Can I cook regular pudding, etc. with it? I tasted it and I guess it will be OK in coffee or hot chocolate but I don't think I will drink it.

Sandy from Baltimore

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By katlou07/31/2011

I've been using it to make potato salad and egg salad instead of real milk, but it seems to make them runny after they've sat overnight. Has anyone else had that experience?

By crazyliblady (Guest Post)02/22/2009

You can buy unsweetened almond milk, so that it would have any sweet taste at all. It doesn't taste like cow milk, but it does not taste bad. I use it every day on my oatmeal, as I am allergic to milk. My favorite breakfast meal is oatmeal with a banana, raisins, cinnamon, almond or rice milk, and flax seeds. It has a lot of flavor, which is crucial since it seems like oatmeal is the only breakfast I can consistently eat. Sometimes, for a change up, I buy rice milk, which has a slightly different flavor. Once it is mixed into something, I don't really notice the flavor.

I have never tried making pudding, but I did use rice milk to make pineapple upside down cake. It was not exactly the same, as it was not as fluffy as the version we made with milk.

By susan [5]02/18/2009

It is rare that I use Cow's milk. I make my own milk with different seeds, soybeans, rice, and nuts. I use it for everything--to drink, in recipes, in cooking, etc. I've made pudding with all types of seed milks, both homemade or store-bought mixes. Puddings don't thicken up quite as much, and if bought, cooked works better than instant. You can use it to replace water in cake mixes and such. It's great in oatmeal or any cooked cereal, mashed potatoes, gravies, etc. Since I make my own, I don't add any sweetener though; I'm not sure if store-bought has sweetener in it that would affect the flavor (I know soy milk does). It works great for smoothies.

By Jill (Guest Post)02/17/2009

I don't know about pudding, but I have used it to make macaroni and cheese. Depends on the variety you have. If yours is sweet probably not. But I don't know why pudding wouldn't work. I also eat it with my cereal, oatmeal, and I've used it to replace milk in baked goods many times.

By Chayil [5]02/17/2009

Milk in a recipe is used for one of three things:

1. Wetness, in which case water, broth, juice, or any other liquid is a fine replacement;
2. Taste, in which case any milk-substitute such as almond milk or soy milk is a fine replacement;
3. Chemical reaction, in which case there is little one can safely substitute.

Pudding is, alas, one of those things that does require actual milk. Soy milk doesn't work, and almond milk almost surely won't work either.

By sharon baker02/17/2009

I use almond milk on cereal. It tastes great.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]02/17/2009

Try making the pudding using the almond milk, I think it should work out okay.

Oh, almond milk is much more healthier than cows milk.