Cooking with Almond Milk

By sandy 77 431

I have been given about 10 containers of almond milk. Can I cook regular pudding, etc. with it? I tasted it and I guess it will be OK in coffee or hot chocolate but I don't think I will drink it.

Sandy from Baltimore

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

Try making the pudding using the almond milk, I think it should work out okay.

Oh, almond milk is much more healthier than cows milk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By sharon baker 10 Flag

I use almond milk on cereal. It tastes great.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Chayil 5 72 Flag

Milk in a recipe is used for one of three things:

1. Wetness, in which case water, broth, juice, or any other liquid is a fine replacement;

2. Taste, in which case any milk-substitute such as almond milk or soy milk is a fine replacement;

3. Chemical reaction, in which case there is little one can safely substitute.

Pudding is, alas, one of those things that does require actual milk. Soy milk doesn't work, and almond milk almost surely won't work either.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I don't know about pudding, but I have used it to make macaroni and cheese. Depends on the variety you have. If yours is sweet probably not. But I don't know why pudding wouldn't work. I also eat it with my cereal, oatmeal, and I've used it to replace milk in baked goods many times.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

It is rare that I use Cow's milk. I make my own milk with different seeds, soybeans, rice, and nuts. I use it for everything--to drink, in recipes, in cooking, etc. I've made pudding with all types of seed milks, both homemade or store-bought mixes. Puddings don't thicken up quite as much, and if bought, cooked works better than instant. You can use it to replace water in cake mixes and such. It's great in oatmeal or any cooked cereal, mashed potatoes, gravies, etc. Since I make my own, I don't add any sweetener though; I'm not sure if store-bought has sweetener in it that would affect the flavor (I know soy milk does). It works great for smoothies.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You can buy unsweetened almond milk, so that it would have any sweet taste at all. It doesn't taste like cow milk, but it does not taste bad. I use it every day on my oatmeal, as I am allergic to milk. My favorite breakfast meal is oatmeal with a banana, raisins, cinnamon, almond or rice milk, and flax seeds. It has a lot of flavor, which is crucial since it seems like oatmeal is the only breakfast I can consistently eat. Sometimes, for a change up, I buy rice milk, which has a slightly different flavor. Once it is mixed into something, I don't really notice the flavor.

I have never tried making pudding, but I did use rice milk to make pineapple upside down cake. It was not exactly the same, as it was not as fluffy as the version we made with milk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By katlou 1 Flag

I've been using it to make potato salad and egg salad instead of real milk, but it seems to make them runny after they've sat overnight. Has anyone else had that experience?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Almond Milk
Using Almond Milk
Previous
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsFebruary 17, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
Almond Milk
Using Almond Milk
Almonds
Making Homemade Almond Extract
Almond Bark
Storing Almond Bark
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:39:08 PM on 10.0.2.127 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings