Use Plastic Bags for Leftovers

Instead of using plastic wrap, that sometimes fails to stick properly, use plastic bags for some leftovers.

I save clean produce bags that I get from the supermarket or use store-bought bags and insert the whole plate/container of some leftovers into the bag and seal with a twister.

I store any clean and usable bags in an empty "cube" tissue box. Be sure to check for any small tears or holes, if there are any, use tape to cover. An easy check is to fill the bag with air, twist to close; hold tightly and gently push to check if any air is coming out.

Depending on the leftover, at times; pizza for example, I may cover the food with wax paper before putting in the bag.

The food is sealed well in the bag and can be easily removed without any problems of recovering if needed.

This is also a good way to take food/baked goods when transporting to a party or gathering.

By mkymlp from NE PA USA

Dollar Tree sells some things that look like shower caps. There are three different sizes in a box and they were located in the section that sells zip lock bags, plastic wrap, etc. I think there were about a dozen in the box for $1.00. They are clear enough that you can see the food once it's covered. If I have leftovers in a 10 inch plate one of them covers the plate. These things have saved me from buying so many zip lock bags and plastic wrap. If foods gets on one I just wash it and reuse. I sometimes use then on bowls when I can't find the lid.

I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, however, I remember reading in the Heloise column many years ago that produce bags and plastic grocery bags are not "food grade" bags and therefore should not be used for long term food storage. Food grade bags are made of an entirely different type of plastic.

A recycled market bag made from plastic grocery bags.
Uses for Plastic Grocery Bags
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversMarch 12, 2010
Organizing Plastic Bags, A blue plastic grocery bag.
Organizing Plastic Bags
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?