Washing Zip-lock Bags for Re-use

Turn those plastic bags wrong side out when you wash them. It is much easier to get them clean, especially in the corners. When I realized we were paying almost $.20 for one plastic bag in the boxes, I started re-use even more of them. I used to thrown away some of the greasier ones. Now that I turn them wrong side out, I can be sure I am getting them clean.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I wash mine too but if I have had meat, raw or cooked, in the bag, I toss it rather than take a chance on getting food poisoning. By the way, how do you dry yours? I haven't found an easy way but hand the bag by a wooden clothespin at tip of big & try to keep bag opening open then later when dry outside, I turn back out to right side & let hand some more if still wet. I am most anxious to know how you dry your bags?

I also re-use mine unless as stated above if they have had raw chicken in them, then I toss them. To dry mine, I just "hang" them or place them over the kitchen faucet, but first I sort of "fluff" them open. I rinse them in very hot water which seems to help, but they still stay a little wet in the corners. Then I just wrap a towel arount my hand or finger to dry the corners before putting them back in the box where they came from.

I made a little stand to dry my bags. Took a small piece of scrap wood and inserted 3 dowel rods of different lengths in it.

I reuse mine also and when our grandson outgrew his bottles, took the bottle drying rack that our daughter had and used that to hang the bags on.

libri, I really like your idea so I am going to get my husband to do this for me. I often have more than 1 or 2 to dry after washing so hanging over faucet wouldn't work for me but this would. Also, I don't use really hot water to wash them as it can deteriorate them for further use. I just wash in my dish water before anything else. Thanks much.

Such great responses to this idea.

This is what makes this site so wonderful.