Washing Zip-lock Bags for Re-use

Turn those plastic bags wrong side out when you wash them. It is much easier to get them clean, especially in the corners. When I realized we were paying almost $.20 for one plastic bag in the boxes, I started re-use even more of them. I used to thrown away some of the greasier ones. Now that I turn them wrong side out, I can be sure I am getting them clean.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I wash mine too but if I have had meat, raw or cooked, in the bag, I toss it rather than take a chance on getting food poisoning. By the way, how do you dry yours? I haven't found an easy way but hand the bag by a wooden clothespin at tip of big & try to keep bag opening open then later when dry outside, I turn back out to right side & let hand some more if still wet. I am most anxious to know how you dry your bags?

I also re-use mine unless as stated above if they have had raw chicken in them, then I toss them. To dry mine, I just "hang" them or place them over the kitchen faucet, but first I sort of "fluff" them open. I rinse them in very hot water which seems to help, but they still stay a little wet in the corners. Then I just wrap a towel arount my hand or finger to dry the corners before putting them back in the box where they came from.

I made a little stand to dry my bags. Took a small piece of scrap wood and inserted 3 dowel rods of different lengths in it.

I reuse mine also and when our grandson outgrew his bottles, took the bottle drying rack that our daughter had and used that to hang the bags on.

libri, I really like your idea so I am going to get my husband to do this for me. I often have more than 1 or 2 to dry after washing so hanging over faucet wouldn't work for me but this would. Also, I don't use really hot water to wash them as it can deteriorate them for further use. I just wash in my dish water before anything else. Thanks much.

Such great responses to this idea.

This is what makes this site so wonderful.

Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 11, 2011
Zip Top Bag With Strawberries
Using Zip Top Bags
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks