Low Sugar Freezer Jam or Jelly

I am hoping to find a recipe for freezer jam or jelly that doesn't contain lots of sugar. I do not want to use artificial sweeteners, either. Does anyone know of such a thing? Some sugar is fine, but I would like to use as little as possible, and again, no artificial sweeteners. I want to make something similar to the 'all fruit' spreads that do not have sugar listed in the ingredients. Is there such a thing as freezer preserves? Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Allison from Northeast TN

I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to use artificial sweeteners. Our food industry is forcing nothing but chemicals on the general public. I can't use any artificial sweeteners myself because of a bad reaction. I can't even take a small sip of diet soda/pop, so I steer clear of all of them. Artificial sweeteners also gives me bad headaches. Artificial sweetners such as Saccharin, Sweet N' Low, Equal, etc. has been know to cause brain cancer and a host of other medical problems.

There is something you can use in place of artificial sweeteners and it is known as Stevia which can be purchased in health food and vitamin stores. You would have to call several vitamin stores in your area and ask for it. Stevia is a natural plant grown in the country of Paraguay and the leaves are harvested for the sweetness. I know some people who have grown a few plants in their gardens. If you use too much Stevia powder it can cause a bitter taste in your recipes, and a little goes a long way.

I'm giving you two websites. One is in Canada which has recipes. Scroll down the page and you will find recipes for Jams and Jellies. And the other website you can purchase Stevia on line. Don't be afraid of the price, you use very little in a recipe, usually 1/4 of a teaspoon. Don't try to look for Stevia in your grocery store because you will never find it.

http://www.steviacanada.com/recipes.html

http://betterherbs.serrahost.com/Ca ... +Stevia%3AStevia+Packets+And+Liquids

Check jellyjamrecipes.com on the internet. They have some diabetic type recipes that you might enjoy.

You could do this if you use pomona's universal pectin, you don't have to use any sugar with it. I found it at wholefoods but you can buy it online too.

There is a pectin that is especially for low sugar jams and jellies. Check in your grocery store. It is marked that way. I've made some and liked them but I forgot the brand name.

Well, I found the special pectin for low-sugar jam at WalMart, and it was on clearance-- a pack of 3 for $1.50. I bought one to see how I like it. Inside was a coupon for 50 cents off! So on my next trip to Walmart I bought another one for only $1.00. What a deal! The jam was ok...not quite sweet enough, but the berries had been in the freezer a while so hopefully it will work better with fresher berries. There are optional directions that include some sugar so I may try that too.

I'm looking for the same type of recipe. So far I've found one at http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/recipe/0256.htm and one at http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/sugarfreejam.htm I used to use the low sugar pectin boxes you can get in the grocery store but it still has a lot of sugar in it.

Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyDecember 10, 2007
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Leftover Jelly
Uses for Leftover Jelly or Jam
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
🎄