Do Speed Bumps and Steel Plates Damage Cars? - Categories:

Driving TipsCars

Do Speed Bumps and Steel Plates Damage Cars?

I had asked a question several weeks ago and got some scathing responses. I am not trying to break the law. I am asking if I really need to slow down to a 1 mile per hour at speed bumps. Again, I am not a person who races through neighborhoods. The fact is there are more and more speed bumps. I don't want to hurt my car going 10 mph when I should go 1 mph, etc.

Sandy from Halethorpe

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Hi Sandy,

I don't remember the original question text exactly but I follow every new post on subjects where I've left a post and do remember that the posted answers , including mine, were approriate to the information supplied by that original question. I just want you to know none of the posts here were meant to be scathing or mean of heart and were appropriate for how the initial question was worded and hence why the comments of what speed bumps are meant for.

When I think of speed bumps I think of asphalt ones and, as I said in my original post, 5-10 miles per hour and you should be safe as far as not damaging your car. I sincerely hope this helps you feel better and know that no one was trying to pick on you.

Set a glass of water on your dash, go over the bump at the speed it will not knock this over. Yes, there are conditions which can knock something loose in your car. And occupants inside the car can suffer injury as well. Till you suffer back injuries that can take years to overcome, just slow down. My husband was carefully going over one of these marked areas in a construction zone (guided through) and the dirt had shifted, the truck tire fell through and he has ruptured discs in his back now. Life time injury.

Your speed over the bumps, should be minimal, not idling, but each car is different too. I had a 96 grand prix that rode low to the ground because it also had "low profile" tires. Any speed bump I came to, I had to "crawl" over it, and also try to approach at an angle so it was like 1 wheel over at a time. Always be prepared for them to be bad....there used to be one in a Green Bay, WI parking lot, that was so high any vehicle "bottomed out" which could tear off a muffler, dent an oil pan, etc. The guy who had it put in front of his store not only paid for others' car repairs, but also to have a lot of it ground down. You can tell how big/bad a bump is by looking at the scrape marks already going across them!

Hi Sandy, my garage mechanic told us that driving fast over speeds bumps damages your car suspension, so I always go over them really slow, meg.

That is what they were meant to do--slow a person down, or else. Unfortunately, they don't seem to deter irresponsible drivers much and cause problems for drivers who are usually cautious. They do get everyone's attention though.

low down and see if you can angle your car like the one person said with one tire over the bump and the other over the smooth road. Also as someone said before it really is depending on your car. Good luck

Usually neighborhood and/or parking lots will have a speed limit posted. It is best to go that speed or even lower. That is why the signs are posted...to let you know a safe speed for going over the bumps. If your car is low to the ground, the entire undercarriage can be damaged by hitting a bump too fast.

March 11, 2009 Flag

Sandy from Halethorpe

Answers:

I did once have 2 flat tires on the same side from going over a faulty metal plate in the road.(Along with a string of other drivers!) We did eventually get reimbursed for the tires from the local utility company although it took months. So do be careful, they should be OK but, then on the other hand. (08/27/2008)

By pamphyila

The management at our apartment complex just had speed bumps installed by a black top business since a few residents do not obey the speed limit signs. Speed bumps will not hurt your vehicle or do any damage to your tires if you drive over them slowly. (08/27/2008)

By MCW

Speed bumps are meant for ensuring 'slowing down'. I have to drive over four speed bumps in my apartment community to come home or leave my apartment. I appreciate them being here because so many people would be driving much too fast causing an accident otherwise.

If your car does get damaged (everyone's car has different issues) then you were simply not abiding by the hopes of others who are placing those speed bumps. Rule of thumb is 5 to 10 miles per hour over speed bumps. A minute of slowing down is worth accidents being alleviated including harm to human beings of any age or someones beloved pet. (08/27/2008)

By Deeli

Speed bumps save lives and property. They won't damage your car if you go the recommended speed limit or less. The faster one goes over a speed bump, the greater the chance of damage to the car.
Jim in Jax (08/28/2008)

By smartfell-r

Consumer Advice Cars Driving TipsMarch 11, 2009
License Plates Decorating a Wall
Crafts Using License Plates
Colorful sweater hanging in a closet.
Removing Hanger Bumps on Sweaters
car gear parts in carton box
Saving Money on Parts for Old Cars
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 8:08:05 PM on 10.0.0.181 in 870 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.